• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sunrise on Main Street

I like this one and so do a few other people, but it still seems lacking something. I'm trying to capture the high contrast of the sunlight reflected in the windows against the dark buildings. I like the warm highlights, deep shadows and all, but it's just not quite there somehow.

I can return to this spot easily to re-shoot although by now there are leaves on the trees, so it will have a bit more green, but that's not the main point. It's those striking highlights in the glass and stone.

Anyone have any input, suggestions, whatever?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Hampton

I like this one and so do a few other people, but it still seems lacking something. I'm trying to capture the high contrast of the sunlight reflected in the windows against the dark buildings. I like the warm highlights, deep shadows and all, but it's just not quite there somehow.

I can return to this spot easily to re-shoot although by now there are leaves on the trees, so it will have a bit more green, but that's not the main point. It's those striking highlights in the glass and stone.

Anyone have any input, suggestions, whatever?

Robert,

my interest in this would be in the middle of the image - the highlights as you identify - have your tried a square crop around that section ?

the light is beautiful in that section and there is enough detail to keep your eye moving around that area whilst still having blown highlights.

at the moment - and at this size - i guess the dynamic pushes us out of image.

you could of course just flip it horizontally !

Last edited by a moderator:

John Wolf

Hi Robert,

I like the lighting and the composition and perspective. The sky occupies so much of the photo that I feel a more interesting sky might add something. Even a single small cloud or the moon. I'm not a fan of jetstreams in landscapes, unless they are integral to the composition, which these don't seem to be.

I would also try a version that open the shadows more. I'm viewing on an iPad, so maybe there is more there than I'm seeing.

It's great that you can go back regularly and shoot the same scene over and over. I really enjoy that process.

John

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Robert,

This is your picture and that you struggle with it means there could be a drive in you to do more. I find the photograph impressive enough for me as it is.

Still, if you are going back, just for my interest, I'd love to see a snap including the base of the buildings and a sliver of street. That might add both weight to the composition and new possibilities for reading the picture. As for mood, consider the possibility of a panorama. That can add an extra dimension by seeing a larger scale and emptiness.
Asher

Robert,

my interest in this would be in the middle of the image - the highlights as you identify - have your tried a square crop around that section ?

the light is beautiful in that section and there is enough detail to keep your eye moving around that area whilst still having blown highlights.

at the moment - and at this size - i guess the dynamic pushes us out of image.

you could of course just flip it horizontally !

I've tried it. I cannot bring myself to get rid of that nice long diagonal at the top. I think maybe there are several great photos in those couple blocks. Those highlights are not blown. The reflections are just that flat, unless my camera and eyes deceive me.

Can you elaborate about the dynamic pushing us out?

I can't flip the image and still show it in this town without upsetting people.

I license my photos CC: Attribution, Noncommercial, Share Alike. Anyone is welcome to play with them.

Hi Robert,

I like the lighting and the composition and perspective. The sky occupies so much of the photo that I feel a more interesting sky might add something. Even a single small cloud or the moon. I'm not a fan of jetstreams in landscapes, unless they are integral to the composition, which these don't seem to be.

I would also try a version that open the shadows more. I'm viewing on an iPad, so maybe there is more there than I'm seeing.

It's great that you can go back regularly and shoot the same scene over and over. I really enjoy that process.

John

I'll keep an eye out for the sky. To be honest, I don't think the jetstreams even registered with me until you mentioned them.

By opening the shadows, do you mean bringing more detail out in them? I'm starting to open up to the idea of blending a couple exposures next time, even though the idea of "HDR" makes me cringe and panic.

Robert,

This is your picture and that you struggle with it means there could be a drive in you to do more. I find the photograph impressive enough for me as it is.

Still, if you are going back, just for my interest, I'd love to see a snap including the base of the buildings and a sliver of street. That might add both weight to the composition and new possibilities for reading the picture. As for mood, consider the possibility of a panorama. That can add an extra dimension by seeing a larger scale and emptiness.
Asher

Thank you.

I can do that. A panorama might me in the works too. I almost did this morning, but I was up late and had to do a lot of driving today, so ethics demanded I get sufficient sleep.

John Wolf

I'll keep an eye out for the sky. To be honest, I don't think the jetstreams even registered with me until you mentioned them.

By opening the shadows, do you mean bringing more detail out in them? I'm starting to open up to the idea of blending a couple exposures next time, even though the idea of "HDR" makes me cringe and panic.

The lower jetstreams would be fairly easy to remove, but the one in the tree would take some work.

Yes, I mean bring out more detail in the shadows.

Since the focus of this photograph is the light, you could also saturate the golds a little more, especially the three main windows, the building on the right of the windows, and the top of the awning on the far left. Perhaps also brighten those areas a little. Really bring out that amber light.

I'd probably also crop to the front of the building on the left side and to the right of the last building on the right side. The streetlamp at the end adds little, in my view.

John

James Cook

I'd like to see just a wee bit more of that diagonal of the curb reach to the bottom left corner and more foreground of the street. I have to agree that opening the shadows a bit would also help. HDR doesn't have to equate over-exaggerated colors. For that matter, just using Shadows and Highlights in Photoshop could probably do a lot of it.

Your ultimate question though is around the fact that you feel there's something missing. At present the photo represents a stage that is set and ready for the play that's about to begin. Perhaps seeing it that way can help you accept it as is or even discover ways to play it up as such.

Maybe you need the slightest hint of the play beginning; the first actor or action. The eye doesn't find a place to settle, it wanders around trying to find a subject, even a newspaper in the gutter. It lacks repoussoir.

The buildings and street are so dark that, for me, it creates an expectation that the street lights should be lit...but they are not. So...I get a depressed feeling of abandonment.

However, I'm still drawn to the image.

fahim mohammed

Robert, I like the pic as it is. But here is how Iwould further explore the possibilities:

1. I like humans to be in the picture. That is a preferance for me.

2. I prefer getting close..see Asher's Santa Monica image. Here the choice would be the central
part of the pic.

3. Jet trails tell me of the hand of the homo sapiens. One pic with and one without.

My main consideration, even before taking pics would be..is this a ghost town; do I want to show it as such. Or is this a place which I like and want to show/tell others ' see I saw this wonderful town at sunrise'. That would determine what I do further.

Best.

Robert, I like the pic as it is. But here is how Iwould further explore the possibilities:

1. I like humans to be in the picture. That is a preferance for me.

2. I prefer getting close..see Asher's Santa Monica image. Here the choice would be the central
part of the pic.

3. Jet trails tell me of the hand of the homo sapiens. One pic with and one without.

My main consideration, even before taking pics would be..is this a ghost town; do I want to show it as such. Or is this a place which I like and want to show/tell others ' see I saw this wonderful town at sunrise'. That would determine what I do further.

Best.

Thank you.

I think a lone person would amplify the lonely feel of the picture. I'll try that next time. Actually, the trees are denser than I realised, so I cannot retake this particular picture until sometime late next fall at the earliest. The greenery changes the mood and it is a different street now. Soon it will me time for different photographs of this area, more festive ones I think...

Mark Hampton

I've tried it. I cannot bring myself to get rid of that nice long diagonal at the top. I think maybe there are several great photos in those couple blocks. Those highlights are not blown. The reflections are just that flat, unless my camera and eyes deceive me.

Can you elaborate about the dynamic pushing us out?

I can't flip the image and still show it in this town without upsetting people.

I license my photos CC: Attribution, Noncommercial, Share Alike. Anyone is welcome to play with them.

robert,

the highlights are fine - but blown isn't an insult and wasn't ment in a negative manner.

flip the image and you will find it works (well it does for me) - you have a slope to the right in the image that pushes me straight out of the image - at this size (for me) - that's all I ment by dynamic.

cheers