• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

70-200mmf2.8L IS

Don Finch

Has anyone noticed that when first shooting with the lens that the first image is dark or non existent when the IS is on?
I thought it odd but it happens consistently when I turn the camera back on after it is off for a significant time period.
No other problems that I have noticed. I love the versatility of the lens length. It is on my camera a lot!! (5D).
Just noticing also that there are very few new posts on this forum. What gives?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi don,

I use the 70-200 IS 2.8 L a lot. Also the f4.0 which is my pocket lens.

There is something weird about the 70-200. It behaves perfectly for several hours outside in the bright sum, the nindoors after while, it cant find focus or it just wont work!

It happens out of the blue then no such issues for 6 months!

I'll check your black image issue. Is this in outside light ort any light? What body?

Asher

Nill Toulme

That sounds really strange Don. You mean as if the aperture is stopped down? Does the EXIF of that first shot tell us anything?

I do think the 70-200 as a model suffers more than usual from inconsistent contact problems. It's the most frequent culprit in the "Error 99" syndrome. But I've never heard of the problem you're describing.

Nill
~~
www.toulem.net

Sounds wierd to me also, been using a 70-200/2.8L IS for over 3 years now and the only problem I have had is a couple screws in the back mounting plate came loose (and of course I had trouble finding a tiny screwdriver) which caused some problems until I tightened them.

I do tend to use it wide open more often then not and IS is only used when needed otherwise it tends to stay off, if that is a factor in figuring your problem.

Don Finch

I'm using the 5D and it has just been a curiosity that I have noticed.
Possible cause is not giving the camera and lens time to synch after activation of the shutter after a standby time.
It is only that first firing and sometimes it just shows very dark with the histogram way to the left or no image at all. Also not everytime. I haven't been very scientific about this either. So I was just asking the troops if any had seen the activity with their lense.

Thanks, Don

Antonio Correia

Now that I'm reading this I can remember the other day in the football when my 20D gave an error.
I dont mind at all.
Switched it off, turned it on, remove the lens, put it back and it was OK.
I have to take notice when and if it happens.

I have a little story to tell about lenses.
Someone bought for me a 24-70 in the US.
The day after it arrived in Portugal I flew to Brazil in holidays.
Only here again, back home I noticed that it did not focused correctly.
I would have much - too much in effect - trouble to send the lens to the States and back.
I paid Canon Portugal to repair it. It costed me 250 €.
I was sorry for that.

When I wanted the 70-200 f/2.8 L USM I did not hesitate: I went to the shop and got it.
Here it is VERY expensive ! An outrage ! 2.100 € !!! A shame.

I'll keep this thread to post if anything goes wrong or anything strange happens.

This material is highly sophisticated and sensitive. We must take very much care with it.
Here are 2 shots with the magnificent as I call the lens:
79926314-M.jpg
79919728-M.jpg
79917695-M.jpg
79646066-M.jpg

All the best to you.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Happy with mine

This was with the 70-200 2.8 is on my 5D at Venice Beach, California - from the first day I used it. I haven't had it long and I haven't had any issues with it except that it's heavy to hand hold. But the image quality is wonderful!

70342785.DMAh9ahV.jpg

Alan T. Price

No lens should do that. None of my lenses have done it, and several of them are IS lenses. The only possible excuse is that you left the lens cap on :)

Your lens needs a service. The good news is that the problem is consistent enough for a technician to find it. That's a huge plus.

Don Finch

Alan T. Price said:
No lens should do that. None of my lenses have done it, and several of them are IS lenses. The only possible excuse is that you left the lens cap on :)

Your lens needs a service. The good news is that the problem is consistent enough for a technician to find it. That's a huge plus.
Not a very bothersome problem, just noticed it a few times like it is testing me or something. If I leave the 5D turned on and make sure I wake it up properly, NO Problem. I was curious and asked for others experience.
Great lense!!