• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

High Ranking

Dwayne Oakes

Thanks for taking a look !
High Ranking butterfly (Red Admiral)

-Nikon D7000/Nikkor 55-200mmVR/Nikon Capture NX2
-1/100 second @ f/16
-200mm
-ISO 400
-Ev -1/3
-Lens Vr ON
-Active D-Lighting set to High

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

p443033473-4.jpg

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Monarch butterflies are an amazing set of creatures. Why they need, (and how they manage), to migrate thousands of miles in their life cycle amazes me. But I can imagine that as the eons went by, optimum foods and temperatures gradually shifted locations. They just adapted to it by these amazing journeys and group memories!

Here are some hints!

"Recent studies of the iconic fall migration of monarch butterflies have illuminated the mechanisms behind their southward navigation while using a time-compensated sun compass."

• Skylight cues, such as the sun itself and polarized light, are processed through both eyes and are probably integrated in the brain's central complex, the presumed site of the sun compass.

• Time compensation is provided by circadian clocks that have a distinctive molecular mechanism and that reside in the antennae.

• Monarchs might also use a magnetic compass because they possess two cryptochromes that have the molecular capability for light-dependent magneto reception.

Source

" That millions of butterflies annually fly a few thousand miles to reach a cluster of pine groves in central Mexico comprising just 70 square miles is, for many, an awesome and mysterious occurrence."

Now, inn "Cryptochromes Define a Novel Circadian Clock Mechanism in Monarch Butterflies That May Underlie Sun Compass Navigation," published in PLoS Biology, Reppert and colleagues reveal that the circadian clock of the monarch uses a novel molecular mechanism, heretofore not found in any other insect or mammal." read more here

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for taking a look !
High Ranking butterfly (Red Admiral)

-Nikon D7000/Nikkor 55-200mmVR/Nikon Capture NX2
-1/100 second @ f/16
-200mm
-ISO 400
-Ev -1/3
-Lens Vr ON
-Active D-Lighting set to High

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

p443033473-4.jpg

Dwayne,

I too adore monarchs but like them to be as sharp as possible to discern the detail of their beautiful wings.

Your processing has enabled the butterfly to hover above the foliage like a delicately embroidered silk work of art. I could ask, "Is that's necessary to show off the wonder of the monarch?", but the softer result gives an escape from the harsh world and brings us to a quiet place. That soothing experience I like!

Dwayne Oakes

p443033473-4.jpg

Dwayne,

I too adore monarchs but like them to be as sharp as possible to discern the detail of their beautiful wings.

Your processing has enabled the butterfly to hover above the foliage like a delicately embroidered silk work of art. I could ask, "Is that's necessary to show off the wonder of the monarch?", but the softer result gives an escape from the harsh world and brings us to a quiet place. That soothing experience I like!

Many thanks for the detailed CC Asher ! They kind of look close, this one is a Red Admiral
butterfly. We are seeing large numbers of these in southern Ontario Canada and
some parts of the USA this year.

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes