• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My Review of the Reikan Focal Pro Lens Microadjustment System

Bob Keenan

I like my shots to be sharp. When I put a focus point on a target I want and expect to have it be in focus. So over the past couple of years I have tried a number of methods.

I wrote a post in my blog, about a year and half ago, talking about all of the ones I tried. You can see it here:

http://www.bobkeenanphoto.com/micro-adjustment-auto-focus-on-lenses-review-and-tutorial/

I really liked the LensAlign system. I still do but then I came across the Reikan FoCal system. I bought the Pro version and wow it is neat. I believe it provides a much more reliable MA adjustment. So I wrote a new blog about it, comparing it to the LensAlign system, discussing pros/cons, and providing some tips fro getting a good calibration on the FoCal system. It can be found here:

http://www.bobkeenanphoto.com/a-new-way-to-microadjust-dslr-lenses-focal-by-reikan/

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Bob,

A huge thanks for giving us that link to your experience on the latest in micro adjustment tools.

I did like your blog and your choice of silver against charcoal. It's very readable. I enjoyed your review so far on the "Focal" semi-automatic software methodology, (that apparently uses an algorithm analysing whiteness areas). I haven't finished it as I just returned from an intense filming schedule. I couldn't keep my eyes open, LOL. After I send off rented cameras, I'll return to complete my enjoyment of your review. I also followed your link to previous coverage of most of the micro focussing adjustment tools.

I'd love to have your experience with Bart's approach using moiré. Why don't you add on to his well followed thread here in OPF.

Asher