• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Local Car Show

Robert Watcher

I'm going to go out on a limb and classify these images that I photographed and processed last night - - - as Works of Art. Let me know what your opinion is if you like.

It was a good night heading down to the beach for our exercise last night - turns out there was a local car show there. I arrived just a bit before they were shutting down for the evening, so took a quick stroll through to see what was available and then targeted a half dozen cars to photograph in the 10-15 minutes that I had before the cars rolled out of the lot.

I had my E-PL3 with 14-42 kit lens as well as my 40-150 lens and switched them out as I took shots of a few cars that had character. Boy am I ever loving the flip out screen and used it for a majority of the shots. Not only did it allow for better angles without bending and contorting - but the look and size of the camera as well as my looking down composing on the horizontal screen - - - disarmed the car owners and people hanging around so that they didn't even pay attention to me. I ended up with about 150 pretty decent shots to work with - a small selection I am including in the thread:

1 )
13408538196643_carshow1.jpg

2 )
13408538571933_carshow2.jpg

3 )
13408538888418_carshow3.jpg

Robert Watcher

I prefer taking "people" shots and so naturally photographed a selection of images as I was heading out the gate, that included the owners and visitors for some visual context - - - such as this one

13408552182074_carmeet.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Robert,

This is among the best of car show pictures I've seen. Your work is both artistic and so enjoyable. The colors are stunning. That little Olympus camera is a pocket wonder beast!

Did you use any of the built in art filters?

Asher

Asher Kelman

I'm going to go out on a limb and classify these images that I photographed and processed last night - - - as Works of Art. Let me know what your opinion is if you like.

13408538196643_carshow1.jpg

Robert,

This is both my favorite and your book cover. I have so much respect for the pair of you and this camera! Bravo!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Thank you so much Asher.

I have used the built in art filters with E-PL1 in the past - - - but not with the E-PL3 yet. In the last year I have really gotten a handle on layer masks and adjustment layers, and also have benefitted tremendously from Nik plugin for my Photoshop. With the Nik, I don't often use any of the presets, but do use them as a starting point for adjusting all of the settings to my taste.

Because a few photographers were curious about my process, I created a short video a while back showing my layer masks and Nik masks for another image and posted it on my Journal - http://robertwatcher.com/journal/index.php?jp=298&title=photoshop-layer-mask-magic-before-and-after . I love image processing and feel it is an essential in providing powerful images that I am pleased with - - - in the same way that my tireless hours in my traditional color darkroom used to provide with a similar ability, just not as repeatable or extensive.

Robert Watcher

I printed some of these images on my recently updated Epson R2000 yesterday. I must say that they look even more impressive in print at the large sizes.

The angle that I photographed shots #1 and #6 (aided by my use of the E-PL3 screen folded down and viewing from above) - has given me the idea to create a series in this same style - - - where the hood ornament is front and center, fading off into the hood and windshield. Hopefully I'll be able to find some other car shows take place in a similar settup and lighting that seems to work, in getting the look and tonality that I got with these shots.

13415743915883_car-prints.jpg

fahim mohammed

Beautiful work Robert. And excellent processing too!

I would have no hesitation is classifying these as works of art. And I love the cars of old!!

Best.

p.s Art does not, for me, have to be necessarily something that I have to spend nights figuring out what
the ' art ' is all about!

Mark Hampton

I printed some of these images on my recently updated Epson R2000 yesterday. I must say that they look even more impressive in print at the large sizes.

The angle that I photographed shots #1 and #6 (aided by my use of the E-PL3 screen folded down and viewing from above) - has given me the idea to create a series in this same style - - - where the hood ornament is front and center, fading off into the hood and windshield. Hopefully I'll be able to find some other car shows take place in a similar settup and lighting that seems to work, in getting the look and tonality that I got with these shots.

13415743915883_car-prints.jpg

Robert,

how about front and back, done as you say?

the bottom two images (different cars i think) really make an interesting read together.

its good watching these evolve from snaps to considered work!

cheers

Robert Watcher

how about front and back, done as you say?

the bottom two images (different cars i think) really make an interesting read together.

You know, the more I look at this picture that included both front and back views - I think they maybe do work well together. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Robert,
Some very beautiful pieces. I have 2 favorites that strike me right away. The first one, where you have a glimpse of a guy with a cowboy hat in the back, to me, it's like he has lassoed his horse to a post and that horse would be the car. The very last one, the light which looks like fog and that bit of flare from the back wheel really gives me a sense of lost in time and nostalgia etc., It's beautiful I think you've done some very impressive work here and images that I could look at for long periods of time. Congrats
Maggie

Asher Kelman

Robert,

Your images are indeed artistic and works of art to be commended! I'd like to add with some humility, some pictures of cars that I find beautiful, but this is piffled in 5 seconds for 3 pics. This way, your work is revisited and mine get's seen in good company!

_MG_6146Car_01.jpg

Asher Kelman: A Bright Yellow Car #1

Rodeo Drive, California, October 2012

_MG_6153Car.jpg

Asher Kelman: A Bright Yellow Car #2

I'd love to know what make it might be. Seems like a modern design concept but with a retro art inheritance! The two exhausts most likely from a custom souped-up engine!

Asher

8 )

9 )
13408541844570_carshow9.jpg

I am a big fan of this picture. I had a fun time taking pictures of a car show, and I can totally see your point of having a bunch of photos to work for.
I have found with car photos that finding new ways of looking at a car is hard many a time, because there are this bunch of shots that are almost standardised. I like your shots with the interesting angles that almost tend to make the car abstractions of their selves.
Good Job!

Best
Rahul

Robert,

Your images are indeed artistic and works of art to be commended! I'd like to add with some humility, some pictures of cars that I find beautiful, but this is piffled in 5 seconds for 3 pics. This way, your work is revisited and mine get's seen in good company!

_MG_6146Car_01.jpg

Asher Kelman: A Bright Yellow Car #1

_MG_6153Car.jpg

Asher Kelman: A Bright Yellow Car #2

I'd love to know what make it might be. Seems like a modern design concept but with a retro art inheritance! The two exhausts most likely from a custom souped-up engine!

Asher

Asher, I know nothing about cars, but I am a pretty darn good Googler :-D
This car is a yellow Plymouth (later Chrysler prowler. It has some custom features such as the front grill.
Here's a silver one:
http://tailfinsandchrome.com/2011/07/2002-chrysler-prowler/

and this looks like his special grille:
http://www.theprowlerstore.com/images/ProGrille44.jpg

Asher Kelman

Robert Watcher

Maggie,

What search words?

Asher

"yellow car in asher kelman post"

or maybe

"Bright Yellow Car #1 OPF"

HE-HE-ROTFL

Oh wait - that only works after Maggie posted the result! LOL

BTW - I remember well the Prowler (totally forgot about it until I saw your pic) - - - we had a popular Chrysler dealer, so there were a few around our small town. Not exactly inexpensive at around $45,000 or more at the time.

Rob

Maggie,

Thanks! You're a brilliant detective, LOL! What search words?

Asher

I started the search in a more general way with customized modern drag car but didn't get anything so, then so tried Custom Modern Yellow Roadster, and about 1/5th of the way down looking through Google images, I spotted something almost the same, but that had some sort of front wing with the lights on it. It was very similar in shape, but the grille had the spines going horizontally, and it was yellow. Going to that website, told me it was a Prowler, and then I started a search for Prowler, that gave me Plymouth and several websites for people that own this particular car. They seems most had been made between 1999 and 2002. I found forums with people showing their customized cars, and places to buy customized grilles etc., It was fun to see there are clubs that people who own these cars join, and in some places it is free to join, in others, it may be $20.00 or $100.00 but the L.A. club dues are $30.000. HA!
There is a wiki on the Plymouth Prowler and it explains the years the car was made, that yellow is one of the colors it comes in besides purple, and that very few of these cars were actually made. Plymouth Prowler, 8532 cars and the Chrysler 3170. I believe the one in your photo seems to be a later Chrysler model. The prowler was also the inspiration for the more known Chrysler PT Cruiser.

Best thing I found was that people take amazing care of these vehicles and you can get one for anywhere between 20,000 and 40,000 that is in incredible condition and some have less than 10,000 miles.

:-D
Maggie

Asher Kelman

Thanks again, Maggie,

Still nothing i've done meets the beauty go these pictures by Robert!

13408539718818_carshow4.jpg

13408539855726_carshow5.jpg

13408540024838_carshow6.jpg

Looking for more such pictures. :)

Asher

You're sounding like a real rev head Maggie.
Maybe you can drop in and give me a lesson in Utes.

Ha! Actually, I know nothing at all about cars. but I like to figure things out. I'm curious by nature and not a bad Googler.

Here is a photo I took of a taillight about 3 years ago. It took me over an hour to find out what car it was from so I knew I could post it here in classic cars.

Let's see if anyone can figure it out. Car is from the 60s, not American, but that's all I'll say :-D

taillight1.jpg

Mark Hampton

Ha! Actually, I know nothing at all about cars. but I like to figure things out. I'm curious by nature and not a bad Googler.

Here is a photo I took of a taillight about 3 years ago. It took me over an hour to find out what car it was from so I knew I could post it here in classic cars.

Let's see if anyone can figure it out. Car is from the 60s, not American, but that's all I'll say :-D

taillight1.jpg

Maggie,

according to google this is not a tail light but an image similar to these

cheers

Volvo Amazon, then?

Yay! you win! congratulations! :)

Yes, it is the Swedish Volvo Amazon. I sound like some car connoisseur (oh, not at all! :-D ) but I found it by Googling. It did help that the photo was taken in Sweden, so I had a good head start. Apparently, Volvo, means "I Roll" in Latin.