• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hello from Wisconsin

Jay Hoss

Long time lurker first time poster (on this forum).

My business is based out of Milwaukee. I own and operate a photography firm and pro lab. My expertise is in school and youth based sports, school pictures and other volume photography and printing. This forum has been a wealth of knowledge and information. Thanks everyone, especially Asher for the forum.

Sincerely,
Jay Hoss

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Jay

Welcome and thanks for the aknowedgement.

Are you seeing a lot of film still? Also do you shoot film yourself?

I'm impressed that film photographers at weddings still use film and don't need a grey card because guys like you color correct by eye!

Of course we all do, but at least I use a WhiBal!

Looking forward to seeing your images and maybe some scans of film! Would love to have more analog!

Asher

Jay Hoss

Asher,

My lab is unique. I do not accept film, only digital submissions. That does throttle my potential for business but when I started the lab I did not want to invest in a dying medium. My prolab client base has converted to digital succesfully (mainly wedding photographers). Every now and then a client may request film and at that point we farm it out to another lab for processing and scanning. Then bring it back into the workflow. It takes longer and is more expensive but you do what you have to do.

I prefer to have a gray card for a visual reference and to aide in click balancing. But for most weddings the brides dress (if traditional white) works as well if not better then a gray card (don't use the veil). Whether digital or analog, I still color correct by eye within my ICC workflow. On an average week I process and correct over five thousand images. Which includes processing RAW's then color correcting the jpegs for print. That makes for some tired eyes and a ton of storage...

I have not shot a roll of film in a long time. I was an early digital adopter and have never looked back. Sometimes I pine for a 4x5 digital back for my pressman view camera but then I use my polariod back to calm the urge. Have not found a decent solution for my large pinhole camera. For my business we use a mixture of Kodak SLR/c, Canon 20D, Canon Rebel XT and a Canon 1D MKII with an assortment of glass.

Asher Kelman said:
Are you seeing a lot of film still? Also do you shoot film yourself?

I'm impressed that film photographers at weddings still use film and don't need a grey card because guys like you color correct by eye!

Of course we all do, but at least I use a WhiBal!