• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Late to the Party

Tim Smith

I feel almost as if an apology is in order since I've been coming to this forum daily and even posting without introducing myself. I'm afraid my social skills could use a touch-up along with my photo skills!

I am one of those who, inspired by the digital revolution, is returning to photography after many years. In the late 70s and early 80s I earned a living with photography. My first love was what might be classified as "fine art" photography with b&w sheet film and view cameras. Since many of my photographs didn't quite live up to the standards of either "fine" or "art", I was forced to look at more commmercial aspects of photography to put the bread on the table.

The next 8 or 10 years included a variety of disciplines including custom black and white printing and lab work, commercial product photography, weddings and portraits, and finally several years as a medical photographer at a teaching hospital/medical-dental school. It was the last that, while very interesting and quite technical, finally managed to snub out my creative urges.

After putting my cameras down I went on to a career in Advertising and Marketing for a Philips company in the U.S., and then to managing a creative group for a consulting firm. For the past 8 years I have been providing Graphic Design for the consulting firm that was my former employer. I work from my home in central Maine, sending my work product via the internet to my clients.

My recent decision to re-enter the world of photography has me quite excited. The newest digital SLRs are truly amazing. And I am relishing the idea of basically starting all over from the beginning. In spite of the experience I had so long ago, I do believe myself to be a "noob".

This site (and others) has provided me with a wealth of information and, more importantly, inspiration. Thanks for being here and I look forward to making an effort to contribute.

Cheers!
Tim

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Tim,

Glad you are with us! A hearty welcome to you. You background is stellar and you have a lot to give too. We're really a friendly community as you have found and your design experience is going to be valued.

Looking forward to seeing a lot of your digital images.

Asher

Tim Smith

Thanks Asher!

And for the record, I'm a Nikon owner (D2Xs) and F3 and I appreciate your efforts to make everyone feel welcome.