• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Stunning Weeds

Robert Watcher

This morning I headed out at 5:300AM to drive around the country to see what I could photograph as the sun rose.

On the way home after getting some landscape images captured - I turned down a beaten up little road to take a shot of some vultures. In this ditch were these amazingly intricate structures on top of what looked to be some type of thistle. And so I turned my camera that way.

After photographing the first setting to show the amazing details in the one head (last image in this set) - - - I came across what looked like matched sets and so photographed those with the focus at different points with each capture.

This first photograph is actually 4 different frames where there was a combination of wide open lens (300mm equivalent from about 6 feet away) with focus on the front set and then the back set of flowers, which were probably 8 inches behind.

When I viewed the area where I took the second image - I came across a visual pattern of the 2 similar smaller flowers stacked on top of each other and the 2 larger flowers mirroring each other on each side. I decided to just use the front flower (I'll call it that anyway) as a focus point and the rest fall off (again they were about 6 to 8 inches behind). I moved the tripod meticulously up and down and sideways to get the viewpoint that was most appealing.

The last image - which I took first - is a combination of 2 different shots taken from the same position. One caught the back edges of the flower and the stalk in perfect focus but the front tips of the flowers were soft - and the other was focused right on the front edges and the back edges fell off in focus because of the close shooting distance and long lens - - - so I just masked out everything in the one shot so that just the front tips layed over top of the the shot with the back edges sharp - - - for a flower fully sharp from front to back.

thistle1.jpg

thistle2.jpg

thistle3.jpg

Taken with Olympus E-PL3 and 40-150 lens (80mm to 300mm equivalent)

Rob

Robert Watcher

FOR INTERESTS SAKE - here are the two most prominent shots that were used in the first image above - - - the front focus shot at f5.6 (with creamy blurring of background) and then the back focus shot at f16 (with more detail in the background)

The other shots that were used, were in between these settings and focus points

thistleraw1.jpg

thistleraw2.jpg

Workflow (I took this screenshot part way through the process - more layers, masking and cloning were on top of this):

thistle_wf.jpg

Rob

Your photos are lovely. Echinops or Globe Thisle. These are not considered weeds where I live, as they are not natural to the area. In garden centers they are sold as perennials. I have a bit at the back of my yard and I've always loved how they looked just as pretty after they bloomed as before. If you bring them in, they will dry in that beautiful globe shape.

Thanks for sharing,
:)
Maggie

Robert Watcher

Your photos are lovely. Echinops or Globe Thisle. These are not considered weeds where I live, as they are not natural to the area. In garden centers they are sold as perennials. I have a bit at the back of my yard and I've always loved how they looked just as pretty after they bloomed as before. If you bring them in, they will dry in that beautiful globe shape.

Thanks for sharing,
Maggie

Good to know Maggie. Thanks.

Rob

Did you notice the little critter calling the plant "Home" in the last shot of the 3?

closeup.jpg

Rob

No, I had not, but did you before shooting it? I have an image of a white rose that I took and believe it or not, I only noticed the lime green spider on it after I uploaded to my comp.

Beautiful clarity and I love this cropped composition.
Maggie