• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New Canon GPS Technology.

Jaime Johnson

I wanted to share the new technology Canon has introduced with the new flagship 1Dx Camera Body. With this new 1Dx body, Canon has introduced an add on device that receives GPS coordinates and automatically stores the coordinates of where the image was taken inside each pictures meta data. With this stored on every picture, I can always go back to the images and see where they were taken within 30 feet anywhere on earth (and also the direction the camera was pointed)! It also captures the elevation.

Here is the add on: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/gps_receivers/gps_receiver_gp_e1

Using the new canon PC software (included with the GP-E1), I can browse the image directories and select the image I am curious about. I then double click on that image and it will automatically bring up Google Maps and put a map tack where the image was taken. I can then select Satellite in Google earth and see the actual satellite photographs of where the image was taken! The camera also now has a digital compass built in and every image also records what direction (in degrees) you were facing when you took the image.

Here is an example.

In the Canon Utility I browse the images and select one image (the road closed image)
090512-Example1.jpg

Then I select the Map option – the red map tack is where the image was taken.
090512-Example2.jpg

Then I select the Sattelite option to see the pin on an actual sattelite photo –
090512-Example3.jpg

Then I can Zoom out to any level and see where it was taken on earth – (with exact coordinates)
090512-Example4.jpg

Impressive..

Jerome Marot

Just for the record, Nikon has had the GP-1 with the same function for a few years and Sony has a built-in GPS in some models like the A77. There are also quite a few point and shoot cameras on the market with built-in GPS and, of course, camera phones usually add GPS coordinates to their pictures by default.

Last but not least, there are independent GPS loggers available and software to tag the pictures with GPS coordinates from the continuous GPS log, based on time stamp. That function is built-in some photo software, e.g. Apple Aperture. On can also use a cell phone instead of an independent GPS logger, an interesting app for the iPhone appears to be gps4cam.

The function to display a map based on the coordinates saved in the EXIF is present in many photo software. On Apple, it is built right into OS X.

Last but not least, publishing pictures with GPS coordinates might be considered a safety threat.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I bought Christine a cute little camera (in blue) only the other day and it has all that stuff in it. She says I should use it so she knows where I have been. I thought that is what the picture is for. Anyway, she can trace my iPhone easy enough and if I turn that off there is always the ankle bracelet the police have provided me with, the CCTV system that seems to have appeared everywhere and the occasional drone buzzing overhead. Oh, and I forgot Google, who snapped my front door only last week. They should have called me. I would have posed - naked.

Jaime Johnson

Thanks for all of the clarifications. Being a GPS user since they became available to the general public, I was actually aware of the technology available from third parties. The new technologies are really amazing. Just thought I'd share for some that may not have been aware. Hope you weren't to offended.