• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wind Turbines

I got the title right this time.

7998796704_ef5cdd6ce3_b.jpg

7998794903_648c892145_b.jpg

Really nice Jake. I especially like the second one. The composition and then the cows grazing under the towering turbines combined with the the lines and textures in the hills just make this one really stand out to me.

Sam Hames

This one - I can't stop looking at it. It's a challenge - it's like an answer to a question but I can't quite work out what the question is (not a negative thing - just a statement of your photos effect on me). It seems like there's such a strong tension - abstract landscape and intruding aliens.

( On a technical note unrelated to photography - are these for electricity? Are they on the older side?)

Michael Nagel

Jake,

both are equally appealing to me - for different reasons.

The first offers two juxtapositions - the freedom suggested by the plane passing above in contrast with the delimiting fences.
The grass could be there to be harvested, the wind turbines are harvesting energy from the wind.

Both fences and grass are earth-bound. Both wind energy and the motion using a plane are air-bound.

The second shines more through the composition in general. For me there are the lines of horizon by the hills, the depth suggested by the hill in the foreground vs. the hills in the background, the cattle like black dots and of course the wind turbines that look indeed alien in this setting.

The PP is excellent and underlines the impressions.

Thanks for the treat!

Best regards,
Michael

you burst these. Really strong work. Good to see.

What was the thinking behind black and white. Not a trick question. Just increased.

Thank you very much. The thinking behind the black in white is more about personal tastes. For some strange reason I am always drawn to black and white.

This one - I can't stop looking at it. It's a challenge - it's like an answer to a question but I can't quite work out what the question is (not a negative thing - just a statement of your photos effect on me). It seems like there's such a strong tension - abstract landscape and intruding aliens.

( On a technical note unrelated to photography - are these for electricity? Are they on the older side?)

Thank you. I appreciate your breakdown of the image and how it made you feel.

I believe these are for electricity. I am uncertain of the age as I have not done any research on the matter. These were just drive by snapshots on the ride out of San Francisco back to Stockton.

Jake,

both are equally appealing to me - for different reasons.

The first offers two juxtapositions - the freedom suggested by the plane passing above in contrast with the delimiting fences.
The grass could be there to be harvested, the wind turbines are harvesting energy from the wind.

Both fences and grass are earth-bound. Both wind energy and the motion using a plane are air-bound.

The second shines more through the composition in general. For me there are the lines of horizon by the hills, the depth suggested by the hill in the foreground vs. the hills in the background, the cattle like black dots and of course the wind turbines that look indeed alien in this setting.

The PP is excellent and underlines the impressions.

Thanks for the treat!

Best regards,
Michael

I enjoyed your view of the first image as it is the same reason I liked the image. I liked the combination of the hill with fences, turbines peaking over the hill and the place in the sky.

Same goes for the second. I really liked how the turbines dwarf the cattle and we all know how large cattle are so it gives a real point of view to the size of the turbines.

Thanks for you comment on the PP. I believe I am starting to get the hang of layers! The PP for this image consisted of 5 adjustment layers.

Separate curves/shaprness layers for each hill and sky. A vignette layer and a burn tool layer. All masked and painted over at 50% opacity.