• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

An 85 and 4 encounter

Jarmo Juntunen

I realise that blurred/out-of-focus images are not for everyone's taste. I also realise that these pictures are mainly valuable for myself and the persons in them (i.e. my mother and youngest daughter). Well, disclaimer or no disclaimer, your comments will be highly appreciated.

The final form of the series is a triptych. I'm not too happy with the second image, but for the time being it'll have to do.

Kerttu/Laura #1

_img900.jpg

Kerttu/Laura #2

_img900.jpg

Kerttu/Laura #3

_img900.jpg

Jarmo Juntunen

... the third image will, also, be cropped 1x1 and to the same size as the two other. For some reason my stupid web gallery refuses to upload the correct sized image, grrrrr!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Kerttu/Laura #1

_img900.jpg

Jarmo Juntunen: 85 & 4 Encounter:Kerttu/Laura #2

Jarmo,

This one single image, just by itself, even with no title means a lot. One doesn't have to know of you or the family. This image is built to show the sense of passage of the years, reflection, hope, recollections and mortality. I do not believe that the other images really manage to share stage with this first photograph. It's a very hard act to follow. however, it's a superb and worthy goal to set for oneself, to fathom how you might do more in this style and quality.

Kudos! :)

Asher

I agree with Asher here. In the first one, you can see the excitement of your daughter and the joy of your mom. In the second, they are together but there is not any interaction between them. In the third, we see your daughter's smile and joy but your mom seems to have her attention further away for the moment. They are not bad pictures, but I think if you are thinking of doing a triptych of their relationship, that you should hold off for other opportunities. The first one is certainly a gem!
Maggie

Jarmo Juntunen

Thank you Asher and Maggie! I appreciate your comments and advice. It was interesting to see how you perceived these images and how you picked the first one as your favourite. Asher, I was thinking about the same issues when these images were made. These questions gave me the push to create these series. Seeing my mother slow down by age and my kids doing the exact opposite at the same time has been quite unsettling (for a lack of a better word). Maggie, yes, she does seem quite unconcerned in the 2nd and 3rd image. Maybe this is what happens to some people when they age? Do they start excluding the surrounding world from their narrowing circle of life? Even the closest part of the surrounding world? Could be this is what is going on in these pictures.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jarmo,

Just continue with the project and enjoy your time with your family. Nothing is more rewarding except perhaps helping a stranger or a great glass of cold beer with a friend at the end of a days work! The part I like is to be considering what's around you and how, as one ages, options decrease but satisfaction can increase seeing others grow. One learns to appreciate more and accept one's own limitations. Capturing this huge gap between elderly and the child is to look at our very existence. You're fortunate to have family and to be able to have the times to spend with them.

Asher