• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mechanical Watch

fahim mohammed

Michael, I have always been fascinated by mechanical precision. I still watch in awe such exquisite craftsmanship. More so than the electronic wizardry of today; without taking away anything from the technical advancements.

Mechanical gadgets, to me are tactile. Electronics are flat and plasticky. Different mediums, not unlike film and digital . I prefer film. From time to time, of course!

Thanks for sharing.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
While electronic watches are most common, I think that the beauty of mechanical watches shall be appreciated from time to time.

Best regards,
Michael

Nigel,

These mechanisms rank among the greatest wonders of the world and really not appreciated enough! They represents a great capability in engineering and craft as well as brilliance in being able to execute theoretical ideas in a reliable manner. Also, as you show, these are handsome in their own right!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You photographs and respect for the mechanical mechanisms bring up the whole genius of geared systems to calculate times of events we deem important. The ratio of gears and the offset of circular discs can implement highly sophisticate theories and rules. Allow me, Nigel, to pay tribute to the designers and craftsmen of the amazing and priceless geared mechanism found in an ancient shipwreck. Read the work on the Antikythera Mechanism here.

Asher

Last edited:

Michael Nagel

Ben - thanks, the pun was only partially intended. :)

Fahim - I work with electronics so I know this side. The craftmanship necessary to make and repair such works of art - that's what they are - shall never be underestimated. I hope that will I have more opportunities to capture these works of art.

Asher - thanks, I hope that I will be able to show more in a not so far future.

Best regards,
Michael