• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Clouds

Steve Robinson

Clouds have always fascinated me from an early age and then especially after learning to fly. I'll start off with a couple of recent photographs I was lucky enough to see.

Building cumulus over the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming. Yep, there was a heckuva thunderstorm later in the evening.
_K227935-1-L.jpg

A late afternoon with scattered cumulus and occasional virga* to make a prism for the low angle sun. I did enhance this one a little to bring out the colors in the prism and increase the drama in the clouds.
Rainbow%201024-2685-L.jpg

* Virga is a dry climate phenomena where the precipitation evaporates before reaching the ground.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Clouds have always fascinated me from an early age and then especially after learning to fly. I'll start off with a couple of recent photographs I was lucky enough to see.

A late afternoon with scattered cumulus and occasional virga* to make a prism for the low angle sun. I did enhance this one a little to bring out the colors in the prism and increase the drama in the clouds.

Rainbow%201024-2685-L.jpg

Steve,

I know about Virgil, virtue, Virgin olive oil, (even double virgin, LOL), Virgin Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Virginia. "Virga", however, is utterly new to me and extraordinary! I bet Madonna has never heard of this one either! :)

Asher

fahim mohammed

Well, we rarely have clouds around here!!
Montana is one of many states, I would have liked to but never did..
The mountain ranges must be gorgeous. And the clouds over the mountains..I can only dream..

Lovely shot there, Steve.

Best regards.

Steve Robinson

Well Michael, we've got the right idea letting the clouds act as a prism. Those are some interesting sights. I'll have to keep an eye out when it gets colder and there's more ice in the air.

Jarmo, airplanes and clouds do go together. Most airshow images have boring blue skies. I like it with the planes seeming to fly out of the clouds.

7300095890_0a420e06bd_c.jpg

One taken with my cell phone on the way to the airport from Stockton, Ca.

7943154374_157ffbeb27.jpg

A couple taken midflight.

7888201510_da372d7193.jpg

7920664162_aa08ff9952.jpg

A quick snap before running in to work.

8109147695_9a47be844e.jpg

Jerome Marot

Clouds in the sky have inspired artists and photographers and still do. Allow me to link to an artist web site: Elena Volkova's airscapes.

aea795aac74b98d80b32455befa52898.jpg

From her artist statement:

When you gaze into the sky, are you aware that you are gazing into emptiness? Do you see the sky as a barrier between you and infinity? If you perceive something as being empty, is it because you understand the concept of fullness, or is it because of fullness you perceive emptiness?

My artistic curiosity lie in the interchange between nothing and something, and its manifestation in everyday reality. While focused on natural elements, I am interested in the threshold between the two, their connotative values, and the ways in which they inform and question each other.

For the premise of my work, I focus on forms easily recognizable and universally understood: water, sky, land, forms that are part of our everyday poetry, sublime or mundane. Creating photographs of these subjects, my goal is to explore how much visual information is needed to perceive the essence of the subject against the background of nothing, a void. I am interested in the ways in which this essence serves as a framework for nothingness, as well as the ways it manifests itself against the canvas of nothing.

My exploration of nothingness is informed by Eastern philosophy, in which the notion of nothing is understood as the beginning and the potential. This I believe varies significantly from the Western existential notion of nothing as doom or death. According to the Taoist principles of Chinese painting, space is not a measurable quantity, but rather a means for suggesting the immeasurable vastness. Similarly, in most of my photographic work, the subject matter is gradually obliterated into large areas of a white void, suggesting unknown vastness and unrealized possibilities. Presenting the viewer with subtle indications of an image on a mostly white piece of photo paper, my goal is to bring forth the dialogue between the infinite qualities of the landscape and the limitations of the photographic process. In addition, I wish to question the viewer's perception of the boundaries - the edges of the piece of paper and the edges of the image - determined by camera framing.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Clouds in the sky have inspired artists and photographers and still do. Allow me to link to an artist web site: Elena Volkova's airscapes.

aea795aac74b98d80b32455befa52898.jpg

From her artist statement:

When you gaze into the sky, are you aware that you are gazing into emptiness? Do you see the sky as a barrier between you and infinity? If you perceive something as being empty, is it because you understand the concept of fullness, or is it because of fullness you perceive emptiness?

My artistic curiosity lie in the interchange between nothing and something, and its manifestation in everyday reality. While focused on natural elements, I am interested in the threshold between the two, their connotative values, and the ways in which they inform and question each other.......

Jerome,

This is a great link you provide. I appreciate the opening you have given to us to be aware of her work and the thinking behind it. I'm sure it will have an impact on more than a few of us!

Asher

Steve Robinson

In Jake's 4th image there's another face on the right looking left!

Jerome, for some reason Elena's site is grayed out when I try to view it even in a new window.

Andy brown

I

Jerome, for some reason Elena's site is grayed out when I try to view it even in a new window.

Hate to be the one to say it but you're not missing anything.
Your shades of grey would be about as interesting as the washed out shades of bluish grey on offer.
Whatever profound thoughts were going on in the 'artist's' head don't make it through....in my opinion.

I've never even imagined such a rich and immensely grand and layered cloud scene. I'd have thought this was a back cloth had been painted for a Richard Wagner Opera.

Hi Asher,

I think Cem did 'help' the original capture a little to create this Armageddon ..., but did a better job than a stage background painter could. There is also some light seeping through on the windmills, so maybe there is still hope?

Cheers,
Bart

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Yesterday, as I was stopped at a traffic light behind this car, I remembered about this thread with clouds…

IMG_2886.jpg

What a lucky guy, able to catch in his car trunk the uncatchable! and what a appropriate name of car…

And of course, later on, I couldn't miss these!

IMG_2890.jpg

The brand new "Chaban Delmas" bridge in Bordeaux, ready to let a large passenger vessel go, with a special protection from the sky.

IMG_2892.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

Relief…

All shot with an iPhone 4

Michael Nagel

Nicolas,

Reflections in car windows are always interesting - love the coulds framing the window.

The second is my favourite - like the bridge was lifted to accept the cloud landing - when you have vivid imagination.

Best regards,
Michael

Chris Calohan

More cloudscapes

8239410945_73dd440f8e_o.jpg

The Beginning of a Major Thunderboomer

8130770577_3efa35091d_b.jpg

When There's Nothing Left but Darkness

7432757520_38cbae359a_o.jpg

Ooooh-Ahhhhhh

7805175508_2ae6d97aee_o.jpg

Untitled

7431708792_cf6e888fd2_o.jpg

Painted With Pastels​

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Jerome,

This is a great link you provide. I appreciate the opening you have given to us to be aware of her work and the thinking behind it. I'm sure it will have an impact on more than a few of us!

Asher

Absolutely!
The depth of meaning in Elena's photos of nothing at all is profound and insightful. I was quite taken away by their very presence on my iPad staring at them longingly until the full impact was felt. They have inspired me to greater things. I am currently formulating a body of work based on the paster wall in my garage. I have to scrub it clean first. Wouldn't want anything interesting to appear, would we?
Fame and fortune, here I come.

Cem_Usakligil

OK, it is time for some leg pulling.

Absolutely!
The depth of meaning in Elena's photos of nothing at all is profound and insightful. I was quite taken away by their very presence on my iPad staring at them longingly until the full impact was felt. They have inspired me to greater things. I am currently formulating a body of work based on the paster wall in my garage. I have to scrub it clean first. Wouldn't want anything interesting to appear, would we?
Fame and fortune, here I come.
Tom I think you have finally grokked it. Even your artist's statement in the expo thread is aligned with hers:

'as a child i was intrigued by the small spaces between things. ... This was my capsule and I drifted through Space and taste the stars.

....From her artist statement:

My artistic curiosity lie in the interchange between nothing and something, and its manifestation in everyday reality. While focused on natural elements, I am interested in the threshold between the two, their connotative values, and the ways in which they inform and question each other.

For the premise of my work, I focus on forms easily recognizable and universally understood: water, sky, land, forms that are part of our everyday poetry, sublime or mundane. Creating photographs of these subjects, my goal is to explore how much visual information is needed to perceive the essence of the subject against the background of nothing, a void. I am interested in the ways in which this essence serves as a framework for nothingness, as well as the ways it manifests itself against the canvas of nothing.

My exploration of nothingness is informed by Eastern philosophy, in which the notion of nothing is understood as the beginning and the potential. This I believe varies significantly from the Western existential notion of nothing as doom or death. According to the Taoist principles of Chinese painting, space is not a measurable quantity, but rather a means for suggesting the immeasurable vastness. Similarly, in most of my photographic work, the subject matter is gradually obliterated into large areas of a white void, suggesting unknown vastness and unrealized possibilities. Presenting the viewer with subtle indications of an image on a mostly white piece of photo paper, my goal is to bring forth the dialogue between the infinite qualities of the landscape and the limitations of the photographic process. In addition, I wish to question the viewer's perception of the boundaries - the edges of the piece of paper and the edges of the image - determined by camera framing.

Now all you need to do is to print your work with a lambda printer at 1x1.5 meters, alu-dibond backing and acrylic sandwich and price them at 4000 Euro or higher. Fortune will be all yours. And I promise to stare at 400pixel jpg versions on my tablet indefinetely in the hope to grok it too.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
What statement was that, Cem? I have so many it's hard to keep up.
What's 'grokking'? Is that some sort of Turkish terrorist technique?
I've always been fascinated by spaces between things. I did want to be a gynecologist for that very reason but didn't like the idea of rubber gloves.

Wait until you see what I've done with my plaster wall. I took your advise and had it printed on butchers paper in duo tone, a sort of white on white all the way to the edge of the frame.

Nd what's this tongue in cheek stuff? Can't anyone take us artists serious?

Chris Calohan

Man interested in spaces between things, yet never read Stranger in a Strange Land and there are rubber gloves (Tamron) and fine latex (Zeiss). Where this response is going, I have no idea other than getting a giggle by all the other responses as to the constitutional qualities of the artist's psyche as prescribed by Eastern philosophers.

Not a knock to anyone person, rather just an observation.

Cem_Usakligil

Man interested in spaces between things, yet never read Stranger in a Strange Land and there are rubber gloves (Tamron) and fine latex (Zeiss). Where this response is going, I have no idea other than getting a giggle by all the other responses as to the constitutional qualities of the artist's psyche as prescribed by Eastern philosophers.

Not a knock to anyone person, rather just an observation.
Precisely! :)