• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Candy

Shawn Kearney

I thought I posted this already. Maybe I thought I did while I was reworking the saturation after critiqued elsewhere. This is one of my favorites from this style.

8295705818_459eb990b4_b.jpg

Shawn Kearney:Candy

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I thought I posted this already. Maybe I thought I did while I was reworking the saturation after critiqued elsewhere. This is one of my favorites from this style.

8295705818_459eb990b4_b.jpg

Shawn Kearney:Candy

Shawn,

Of course we have to like this once you added the name "Candy"! That's a great name and also puts us in a fun mood. Still, i wonder why you didn't correct the conversion of the horizontal lines from left to right? amazing how just a a degree out of whack can be so irritating. I'm assuming, of course that you want to remove tensions and emotions that are found in images of matters with human activity or psychological forces. If I'm understanding you correctly, you study forms of things as you find them, as if humans are not involved. So, if that's true, obvious clues to camera technique would appear out of place and disturbing to the graphically pure view your direction seems to demand.

I do enjoy your transformation of the building to seem like a flat drawing filled with almost solid uniform color. It has pretty beauty of well done graphics for architecture, plain view before the invention of 3D rendering! Did you process the RAW image with "clarity" setting in Photoshop having negative value? Anyway, the style is distinctive and I hope you'll add to this before moving to another great idea.

Asher

Shawn Kearney

I work on many ideas at the same time, if I don't I get pretty stale and start relying on crutches.

As for the horizons, I suck at PC in the digital darkroom. I want my view camera back. I want it back NOW. But, i can't really afford it, so, until you guys buy me a medium format Sinar with a digital back, you'll just have to live with my crappy perspective corrections. Somehow I even managed to make one roof line tilt one way, and the other tilt the other way. I figured I'd set it aside before I made matters worse.

As for RAW processing, I use Raw Photo Processor and post in Photoline, so I don't have a 'clarity' setting. I ETTR, and use gamma (brightness in the "Film-like" curve in RPP) to compensate and fine adjust with black point. I actually have an entire system for this which involves exposing for the hilights and processing for the shadows in a precise and calibrated way, but I don't really use the whole of it on a daily basis.

In this image, I used the Kodachrome 64 film simulation, brightness at 50 (default) and black point at 1.60. Everything else at null. So it was a pretty basic process. There was a lot of adjustment to color and saturation in post, giving it more vibrancy.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I work on many ideas at the same time, if I don't I get pretty stale and start relying on crutches.

Shawn,

I think that's a good idea too! that way one tends to think of alternate approaches to composition, lighting, processing and presentation and we're always stimulated and challenged. I'd add to that visiting art and photo exhibits every so often to get a sideways kick in the pants from a direction one doesn't expect!

As for the horizons, I suck at PC in the digital darkroom. I want my view camera back. I want it back NOW. But, i can't really afford it, so, until you guys buy me a medium format Sinar with a digital back, you'll just have to live with my crappy perspective corrections.

Actually, perspective corrections are not difficult and can be performed in GIMP which is open source free software. One needs a pal to set it up for you! Some high school kid no doubt can do it with eyes closed. what computer do you have? one can get a free copy of Photoshop CS2 from Adobe with the serial number! Perfect for doing corrections. works for Mac or PC.

Will Thompson, (on OPF, send him a PM), has view cameras for sale cheap. He's always buying new lenses for his canon cameras so needs to sacrifice his LF collection, LOL!

Somehow I even managed to make one roof line tilt one way, and the other tilt the other way. I figured I'd set it aside before I made matters worse.

As for RAW processing, I use Raw Photo Processor and post in Photoline, so I don't have a 'clarity' setting. I ETTR, and use gamma (brightness in the "Film-like" curve in RPP) to compensate and fine adjust with black point. I actually have an entire system for this which involves exposing for the hilights and processing for the shadows in a precise and calibrated way, but I don't really use the whole of it on a daily basis.

In this image, I used the Kodachrome 64 film simulation, brightness at 50 (default) and black point at 1.60. Everything else at null. So it was a pretty basic process. There was a lot of adjustment to color and saturation in post, giving it more vibrancy.

Sounds like you're perfectly organized. :)

Looking forward to seeing more siblings to this picture!

Asher