• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

March, women's month

Antonio Correia

How about posting some images of women during March ?
"Women's History Month is an annual declared month worldwide that highlights the contributions of women to events in history and contemporary society. It is celebrated during March in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Australia, corresponding with International Women's Day on March 8, and during October in Canada..."

I'll start. My first one is

8433397282_53772fb519_c.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

8433397282_53772fb519_c.jpg

Antonio,

I'm happy to learn of this important celebration of women March 8th. They are our mothers and sisters, daughters and daughter in laws who make the good parts of our way of life! Besides, they're fascinating!

Your photograph is delightful and brings to mind the flowing saris of India and the flags strung across the Himalyas.

Asher

Antonio Correia

Antonio, I'm happy to learn of this important celebration of women March 8th. They are our mothers and sisters, daughters and daughter in laws who make the good parts of our way of life! Besides, they're fascinating!

Your photograph is delightful and brings to mind the flowing saris of India and the flags strung across the Himalyas. Asher

The flags you mentioned, can be found not only in North India but also for example in Pakistan, Nepal or Bhutan.

As a side note: The tissue is Indian from a sari we bought in India. It was August and it was hot so my wife used it. As you probably know saris in pure silk are warm in cold weather and cold in warm one...

Jarmo Juntunen

Antonio, this is a good idea and well worthy a theme. You made a wonderful opening with your picture. Now, I'm not quite sure if you meant people should add pictures to this thread. Let me know if you'd like this to be a separate post. Meanwhile, here's my take.

Family Connection

_img900.jpg

Antonio Correia

Superb image Jarmo. Very nice indeed...
The arm of the child and the hand of the mother take us to their faces. The other diagonal is formed by their hairs...

When I was photographing my wife with our grand-son I had natural light from right.
I asked her to keep turning around while taking some pictures and I have chosen this one which hides both faces.

Thank you for posting your excellent image. I was a little ahead on time because we still are in February but...

I post now another one, completely different.
This one is going to be exposed near Setubal in March. I have printed it in A3 size and framed.
Woman as mother, house wife and most probably country-woman. Excuse me for the redundancy.

i-kkQg8v2-XL.jpg

Jarmo Juntunen

Antonio, thank you for your kind words! I really like the direction this thread is taking. You show us a woman who, like you very aptly stated, is a mother and supports her family by working in the fields. Will this picture be exhibited as a part of a larger series and is there a specific theme in the exhibition (if exhibition is where this picture will be exposed)?

Antonio Correia

Hello Jarmo :)
This picture will be exhibited in an exposition with paintings being the subject "March, the month of women"
In fact I am not very found of this because everyday is women's day but I decided to participate as I declined the invitation last year.
It will be an exposition of minor importance because it will be held in a small village with limited public, but it is what we have to live with ! LOL

The image I post today portraits a very peculiar situation. We were walking in a main street in Varanasi when I saw this woman collecting poop from the cows with her bare hands. Dangerous business !!!
I am not the kind of guy who feels embarrassed for photographing people or ask them to, but this time I just took a photograph and moved on. Anyway: a document !

i-v7FxWvq-XL.jpg

Jarmo Juntunen

Thank you Antonio for your last post. Your narrative makes these pictures so alive!

Now, here's another one from me. This old lady is my mother. She comes from a very large family, as was quite typical for the rural areas in the beginning of last century. They endured very hard times, stayed put when so many others left the poor conditions and went looking for a better life abroad. They survived the hard war against the Soviets and the time of reconstruction following the war. Now there's only two of them left. Here you can see her visiting her brother's grave last October.

BTW, I think others should join us in this thread.

_img900.jpg

Antonio Correia

The light of your image looks very soft indeed...

It is a moving image.

Hard times are also coming as the World is changing quickly.

Antonio Correia

Nice capture of your daughter-in-law and son.

Chris, do you think I am mad ? Well, I may have some kind of mental problems but I would never be able to have a child of my own being 64 years old !

Just kidding as you know Chris :) :)

The picture is my loved grand-sun and my dear daughter in law photographed when we were in CA last October.

Cheers ! :) :)

Chris Calohan

A case of translation semantics. What I said was posted correctly as I did note it was your daughter-in-law and son...her son. Forgetting you are from Portugal, I sometimes forget to clarify my words.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Women's Month! Ha. Around here its Women's World.
I am reminded constantly what got me here and keeps me here.
"Without me around you would be ...... really messy".
I thank Christine every day that I am not - messy, that is.

_DSC3865 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

Mother is reclined and looks to her child with tenderness, appreciation and devotion. There's a suggestion that she might have been nursing earlier as some of her clothing over her right shoulder is a little deranged and the edges of, perhaps, undergarments are revealed. This adds to the intense intimacy of the photograph. A lesser photographer, might have had the clothes meticulously arranged or edited it that way in post. As it is, there's a sense of looking in on a genuine moment of intimate joy going from parent to infant.

This tender image of the bonding between a mother and her child is remarkable and what it shows is so important and often overlooked as more and more women miss out on this experience as they find a need to leave the child and go out to work to support themselves or the family. When the mother is able to spend more time at home, or bring the child with her to work, as in some societies, it's an investment for life. It's this special relationship with the mother and then with the father, if available, that establishes the child's trust to others and eventually, self-worth, civility and confidence.

BTW, this also seems to fit well in the thread Personal Spaces and I hope you might consider cross posting it there, if you also feel it matches.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Women's Month! Ha. Around here its Women's World.
I am reminded constantly what got me here and keeps me here.
"Without me around you would be ...... really messy".
I thank Christine every day that I am not - messy, that is.

_DSC3865 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

Tom,

Yes, women are special partners. It has to be a balance! The differences create energy that helps drive the electrostatic energy of relationships needed to get one's hair to stand on end so one can argue about silly things and so be inured against the real problems of life, inadequacy and mortality.

My wife curses every day that I'm "messy"! I allow her excessive organization as her survival mechanism in a sea of leaves drying on lounge chairs, palm fronds and bark collected from walks and rocks smuggled all the way from the Bahamas. She fights back by cleaning up! It's a great hazard for an absent minded scientist who knows where everything is amongst what seems like disorder to outsiders! I even have to search the waste basket for stuff I leave around. Once retrieved our return air tickets after one particularly ruthless cleanup! If we were the same, then we'd be competing for places to store "needed" materials for art or cameras or else competing to make the place ultra-perfectly in order.

Your wife seems utterly elegant and so in charge! I don't think one could get up earlier enough in the morning to fool her on anything!

Asher

BTW, is the some sort of surge protecter in the back of the desk?

Asher Kelman

Antonio, this is a good idea and well worthy a theme. You made a wonderful opening with your picture. Now, I'm not quite sure if you meant people should add pictures to this thread. Let me know if you'd like this to be a separate post. Meanwhile, here's my take.

Family Connection

_img900.jpg

Jarmo,

This is interesting to compare with antonio's picture of mother and infant. There, the child is rather passively imbibing the nourishing love with a smaller amount of energy returning to her. In the case of your picture, the child is older and they are already experienced in social gestures of smiles and expressions of mutual joy.

Thanks for sharing and honoring the women through whom we get to this world!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
All of my grand children and great grand children pictured here are beautiful in all respects. They are strong minded, determined and intelligent. Most days I am simply at their disposal.
For that I get to take pictures of them whenever I want. None of them are inhibited by the presence of a camera. Somehow they just know what to do.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Personally, I don't think we need to be reminded of the superiority of women. I've known that since my childhood. My mother could hit my Old Man with a plate at 50 yards, cut him to the quick with a gesture and have him whimpering in a corner as a result of a stream of profanities. And that was when she was in a good mood. She was also the smartest woman I have met and managed to raise 9 kids and one adult without one of them going to jail. She also made sure she didn't die until all of the men had a woman to look after them or were dead.
I don't know about you but I wish the blokes who think they can run the place would get over it and just pass it all over to the women (except that Palin chick). I'd be quite happy to sit back and do the chores while the skirt flutters in our halls of power.

Antonio Correia

Antonio, Mother is reclined and looks to her child with tenderness, appreciation and devotion. There's a suggestion that she might have been nursing earlier as some of her clothing over her right shoulder is a little deranged and the edges of, perhaps, undergarments are revealed. This adds to the intense intimacy of the photograph. A lesser photographer, might have had the clothes meticulously arranged or edited it that way in post. As it is, there's a sense of looking in on a genuine moment of intimate joy going from parent to infant. This tender image of the bonding between a mother and her child is remarkable and what it shows is so important and often overlooked as more and more women miss out on this experience as they find a need to leave the child and go out to work to support themselves or the family. When the mother is able to spend more time at home, or bring the child with her to work, as in some societies, it's an investment for life. It's this special relationship with the mother and then with the father, if available, that establishes the child's trust to others and eventually, self-worth, civility and confidence. BTW, this also seems to fit well in the thread Personal Spaces and I hope you might consider cross posting it there, if you also feel it matches. Asher

Nice comment Asher ! You are right. My daughter in law is at home for the moment but we all hope she will get a job soon after some... work. She is taking a PhD on Psychology as fast as she can ! Other difficulties are ahead of her but she is a very intelligent, clever and hardworking woman whom I like very, very much.

We have just been hanging out for a few minutes...

i-zf6c5mg-XL.jpg

Antonio Correia

Family Connection
_img900.jpg
Jarmo, This is interesting to compare with antonio's picture of mother and infant. There, the child is rather passively imbibing the nourishing love with a smaller amount of energy returning to her. In the case of your picture, the child is older and they are already experienced in social gestures of smiles and expressions of mutual joy. Thanks for sharing and honoring the women through whom we get to this world! Asher

But Asher, the age of the children is quite different and that is probably the cause of the different attitudes/postures...

Asher Kelman

Jarmo, This is interesting to compare with antonio's picture of mother and infant. There, the child is rather passively imbibing the nourishing love with a smaller amount of energy returning to her. In the case of your picture, the child is older and they are already experienced in social gestures of smiles and expressions of mutual joy. Thanks for sharing and honoring the women through whom we get to this world! Asher

Family Connection
_img900.jpg

But Asher, the age of the children is quite different and that is probably the cause of the different attitudes/postures...

Antonio,

Yes, That's what I'm describing. It's part of development that's worth noting. The mother of an infant needs to invest far more effort for the bonding and so she's wired that way.

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

To some women March is no different from other months:

Woman's place

_img900.jpg

The man in the negative picture is Lars Levi Laestadius, a 19th century revivalist minister. He founded and lead a revival movement that is still very influential in certain parts of Finland. The movement is known for its' strict rules and numerous bans. Their code of silence has been broken lately on several occasions as abused children and women have left the movement (and, as a consequence, their families) and shared their experiences.