• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Foyer

Chris Calohan

8528356161_1099135778_c.jpg

Three Fan Foyer - A Study in Light: Chris Calohan​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
8528356161_1099135778_c.jpg

Three Fan Foyer - A Study in Light: Chris Calohan​

Chris,

It's very much in the style of Michael Nagel's beautiful and well-invested thread on German underground tube" stations. His work is particularly well balanced and obviously great pains are taken in executing his ideas. Choosing the point from which to aim your camera is so important in sampling the architecture in a way that gives it your own personal stamp of identity.

In this picture of the fans, we get the same feeling of a study of impressive public architecture. There's a slight uneasiness I felt about the picture, in that it seemed that the horizontals weren't true! The amount of offset is actually minute, but we can detect minor changes and here it creates a sense that there was a disturbance in the structure.

Well, most are, but at the very top, there's some very, very slight slope and perhaps you might want to review whether or not correcting it would take away from how you best perceive the vastness of the roof and the design of the glass units and fans. Anyway, I'm a risk-taker and offer the possible sort of edit I'm thinking about to make the picture a bolder statement.

8528356161_1099135778_c_AKcrop.jpg

Three Fan Foyer - A Study in Light: Chris Calohan

Edited AK for orthogonality and cropping lower border

Still, it's not what can be done that counts but rather what serves your purposes best. So I hope this variant I offer fits in with your own intent for the photograph. This way, we attend to the fans with less distraction and then they play out as we loo up in the picture across successive expanses of glass.

Asher