• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Jazz Band Concert

Tonight our high school greeted us with a Jazz Band Christmas Concert.
Here are few pictures from the performance.

Jazz band:

115493451-L.jpg

Trumpet solo:

115493754-L.jpg

Trombone solo:

115494454-L.jpg

Alto, tenor and baritone saxophones trio:

115495272-L.jpg

The rest is here: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/2217816

Enjoy shooting musicians while they are young!:)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nik,

A great guy you are! Anyone you know in the band?

I like especially the last one as it focuses on one group perhaps doing their thing with the rest of the band pretty constrained or silent.

Asher

Joe Russo

Nik,

Very nice pictures of the band. I like #2 (trumpet solo) and #4 (saxaphone trio).

As for #2 I like the pose of the trumpet player and your choice to angle the photograph compliments his pose. The specular highlight on the rim of the trumpet is also very nice. I like the fact that you can see the horn pressed to his lips - you get a real sense of his playing the trumpet from this.

In #4 I like the way that the saxaphones and their players are leaning more and more to right - it gives a nice sense of rhythm to the image.

Thanks for sharing.

Asher,

Asher Kelman said:
Hi Nik,

A great guy you are! Anyone you know in the band?

I'm simply a band parent. My oldest plays in this one (she's front row leftmost):

115495328-L.jpg

Asher Kelman said:
I like especially the last one as it focuses on one group perhaps doing their thing with the rest of the band pretty constrained or silent.
Asher

You know, they were doing typical jazz thing, playing thier part in turns:)

Thanks for looking!

Joe,

Joe Russo said:
Nik,

Very nice pictures of the band. I like #2 (trumpet solo) and #4 (saxaphone trio).

As for #2 I like the pose of the trumpet player and your choice to angle the photograph compliments his pose. The specular highlight on the rim of the trumpet is also very nice. I like the fact that you can see the horn pressed to his lips - you get a real sense of his playing the trumpet from this.

Thanks! I spent some time with this shot, tryi9ng to find the right angle. Judging by your commments, it looks like I found a good one:)

Joe Russo said:
In #4 I like the way that the saxaphones and their players are leaning more and more to right - it gives a nice sense of rhythm to the image.

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, that was a cool moment - three different saxes, three different angles:)

All in all, I'm fairly satisfied: most of these pics were shot with my new 100-400 handheld at 400mm at ISO 3200 - and I didn't even touch any single one of them the Photoshop - ACR only!

Rawflow (tm) rocks!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nikolai Sklobovsky said:
most of these pics were shot with my new 100-400 handheld at 400mm at ISO 3200 - and I didn't even touch any single one of them the Photoshop - ACR only!

Rawflow (tm) rocks!

That is amazing! Does that sucker (no pun intended) have IS?

and yes, you are a good parent!

Asher