• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Different....

This is a simple horizontal panning, done from a vehicle in film.... the "central" of panning was the cottage in the center... there is no cropping or altering other than a little more vibrance an saturation, the print is exclusively on canvas.

c27-17_16x_copy.jpg

This is another one done with the same technique...

c47-20_16xb.jpg

I hope you like them...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is a simple horizontal panning, done from a vehicle in film.... the "central" of panning was the cottage in the center... there is no cropping or altering other than a little more vibrance an saturation, the print is exclusively on canvas.

c27-17_16x_copy.jpg

Theodorus,

I can imagine this on a large canvas or printed on tiles and being enjoyable. This, works, but as a final product, there's more that I'd consider doing to exploit what's there.

I happen to avidly collect pictures just like this. Some are made by sheer accident, others, (as you've done here), by design. When they lack a dominant impressive gesture, they are not shown as taken. Rather they are used to build..........

1. either pleasant compositions for engaging one's dreamy imagination

2. or else socially challenging content created out of abstractions.

I'd put this into the first class. There are no social implications I see here, just a way to start musing in a relaxed way and getting distracted from the present.

So I like the shot here as the start of artwork. (BTW, I don't expect, (except for news, crime, product, wedding and other "vertical market" photography), the picture taken isn't necessarily anything like the one to be shown. Far from it! Ansel Adams did much more of his creative work after the shot! He engraved lines, shadows, and used so many different modes of processing to get what he wanted.

As for blurred or swing shot images, sometimes, following a graceful person in a gallery, one can get a slow blurred image that is just right, as it is. That's because the pose and lines of the person are already beautiful and clearcut. Here, your work, to me at least, has some of the raw elements of potential art, but not all of the final art itself. But that's just one view. I have taken the liberty to process your images the way I'd like to see it exhibited and with your permission I'll share one or two.

Asher

c27-17_16x_copy.jpg

Theodorus,

I can imagine this on a large canvas or printed on tiles and being enjoyable. This, works, but as a final product, there's more that I'd consider doing to exploit what's there.

I happen to avidly collect pictures just like this. Some are made by sheer accident, others, (as you've done here), by design. When they lack a dominant impressive gesture, they are not shown as taken. Rather they are used to build..........

1. either pleasant compositions for engaging one's dreamy imagination

2. or else socially challenging content created out of abstractions.

I'd put this into the first class. There are no social implications I see here, just a way to start musing in a relaxed way and getting distracted from the present.

So I like the shot here as the start of artwork. (BTW, I don't expect, (except for news, crime, product, wedding and other "vertical market" photography), the picture taken isn't necessarily anything like the one to be shown. Far from it! Ansel Adams did much more of his creative work after the shot! He engraved lines, shadows, and used so many different modes of processing to get what he wanted.

As for blurred or swing shot images, sometimes, following a graceful person in a gallery, one can get a slow blurred image that is just right, as it is. That's because the pose and lines of the person are already beautiful and clearcut. Here, your work, to me at least, has some of the raw elements of potential art, but not all of the final art itself. But that's just one view. I have taken the liberty to process your images the way I'd like to see it exhibited and with your permission I'll share one or two.

Asher
I don't mind anyone to share or process any of my images as long as he asks first (like you have), so go ahead!
OTOH, I don't completely share your view on Adam's work... IMO the key element behind an artist is visualization (Adams has a whole chapter on the subject and he refers to visualization many times in his books) ....what does this mean? It simply means that you can't have a writer start writing (say a novel) without having the story in his mind and you can't have a painter start painting without visualizing his painting first... It's exactly the same with photographers... the photographer visualizes the print and executes the shot having the visualized prind in his mind and the whole path to achieve it! You can easily understand accidents... if a man has ONE shot it's an accident, if he has plenty then it's deliberate... take for instance the shot in my "mist" album that I posted in the other threat the other day...

e41_f-10copyb.jpg

I wanted to do a semi-double exposure (under visualization) to symbolize the crossroads (paths) behind human decision in life, but for this to work, I had to rewind the film back the exact amount (length) so that the end of the road would fell into the dark part and would appear as being two streets... then I changed the angle and exposure and re-shot! ...It worked out perfect didn't it? It's not darkroom stitching... it's ONE negative of about 60mm length shot with a 35mm FM-2...
So... these are printed under MY visualization and what you will achieve, is totally different to what I had in mind....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I don't mind anyone to share or process any of my images as long as he asks first (like you have), so go ahead!

Theodorus,

I appreciate your sportsmanship in allowing me to try some ideas of simplification with your picture.

c27-17_16x_copy.jpg

Th_filmswing_01.jpg

th_swingfilm_02.jpg

Just to illustrate the kind of changes one could make if this is going on canvas. One can also add some acrylic color on top, perhaps, according to my whim at the time of printing.

Asher

Theodorus,

I appreciate your sportsmanship in allowing me to try some ideas of simplification with your picture.

c27-17_16x_copy.jpg

Th_filmswing_01.jpg

th_swingfilm_02.jpg

Just to illustrate the kind of changes one could make if this is going on canvas. One can also add some acrylic color on top, perhaps, according to my whim at the time of printing.

Asher
My intention Asher was to retain enough realism on the scene, yet enhancing (first using capture as part of the process and secondly by enhancing the scene a bit further) the feeling that the scene provides and the depth of lighting in it... In your first version you have retained the lighting but altered the realism of the scene completely.... Although I believe that a creation starts from capture, I find the result interesting, but nothing to do with my image or my intention when shooting it... The second one, I don't like I must confess... it has destroyed the depth of light from the scene, has turned the middle into darkness (hence the depth) and has enhanced lighting on the edges, which results on flattening the depth.... it's like the depth is in complete shadow... almost evil!

Theodorus,

This I like very much as it. When printing i'd try to get the dark and mid-tones on the left.

Asher

img089bbb.jpg

Apparently, the photograph you refer to above, the second photograph I posted in the begging of the thread (the shadow reflection in it),

c47-20_16xb.jpg

....and this one,

f_7-37_travelling.jpg

All share the same model. The B&W is Ilford Pan F shot with FM-2 and the color ones are Fujicolor 100iso shot with F3hp...

You said one model!
I see you insist on the ...portrait! ....you aren't gonna have it Asher! (he, he, he) have another one that is within the spirit of the thread though...

25500002.jpg

this was done using a longish exposure and asking the (different) model to turn the head only during the last second.... I wanted to create a "mask" on the back of the head...

Last edited:
OK! ...last one. (from me)

f-13.16_4x_copy.jpeg

In this one it was a sunny day and decided to seek shadows at the bank's wall as people were passing by... I may was there for more than 2 hours looking for a strange shadow to appear... and then it happened! The "phantom of the bank" (the shadow in the right edge) was following the people! ...it lasted less than a second since it was a combination of shadows.