• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Homage: Our Own Pictures Inspired by a Work of Art Balconies - Life on the Outside

Chris Calohan

Still pursuing a Moholy-Nagy perspective, Look at the earlier balcony picture here ADK :) . I took this from a slightly different angle and with a slightly different perspective in mind.

9600315024_ff99a8f0de_c.jpg

Homage to Moholy-Nagy: Chris Calohan​

Michael Nagel

Chris,

this one is way better than the other interpretation - the concrete slab covering approx. 20% of the picture on the top was for me a downside on the other one.

Here you have a line of sight.

Best regards,
Michael

Robert Watcher

I am of the opposite view than Michael. I think that while not perfect - your original image on the other critique post, had far more interest and most potential. This shot is rather bland and uninteresting to me.

If you are inclined to redoing the same scene anyway (as it appears that you have done here) - elements that I found quite interesting in the other posted shot of the balconies - is the geometric play of the bottom of the balconies as they fade away with perspective. You may try focusing more on that if you want to try again.

Something that caught my eye right away when looking at the other posted image - is the interplay of the chairs on the different levels. I may have examined angles that would allow them to add to the dynamic composition. With this shot, the stacking of the chairs behind each other really does not make use of those elements.

Just my personal view though. :)

Jerome Marot

You mean homage to this?

001.jpg

xanti-schawinsky-on-a-bauhaus-balcony.jpg!HalfHD.jpg

Moholy-Nagy László

I also preferred the previous one. It had a more interesting rhythm. This is a bit too simple and the chairs visually touching each other makes it a little bit difficult to read.

Michael Nagel

The title, however, is somehow contradictory to the scene shown. There are chairs on the balconies, but these are devoid of signs of individualization - life.

Here is what I saw with a similar idea (cropping to the right of the tree could make it more intense):

Hope you don't mind posting it here.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You mean homage to this?

001.jpg

xanti-schawinsky-on-a-bauhaus-balcony.jpg!HalfHD.jpg

Moholy-Nagy László

I also preferred the previous one. It had a more interesting rhythm. This is a bit too simple and the chairs visually touching each other makes it a little bit difficult to read.

I agree with Jerome! :)

Here, in the original shots, the apparent source of your inspiration and homage, there's tension in the direction of projection of the balconies and a human element of probable "risk" as a dramatic boost. The first variant of yours, Chris, has some of that feeling.

9588909881_9c1c2c729c_c.jpg

Rooms with a View: Chris Calohan​

By contrast, this later version of yours seems much less of a challenge to us. You've presented a safe "view" commanding the outside of the building. Looking at that position, we feel secure and there's no sense of impending drama.

9600315024_ff99a8f0de_c.jpg

Homage to Moholy-Nagy: Chris Calohan​

Still, Chris, I commend you're continued efforts in catching some of the fire and energy of such a great artist. Homage images are brave enterprises and you're on the right track.

Asher