• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mamiya ZD

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I'm curious about theMamiya ZD
To my knowledge, nobody did post about that camera in OPF...

Anybody has one, tested it or have thaughts about it?

What do you think in regards to price/MP/Quality etc...

Would seem the perfect one between DSLR and medium format.

Am I wrong? yes? why?

I'm still looking for larger files for larger prints (so need more "good" pixels)
clarity/purity
relative speed of shoot (1,5 file/sec is fine with me)
ultra wide angles (equiv to 24x36 12/15mm) to long lense (equiv to 24x36 500mm)

Can the Mamiya ZD offer all this and even more?

And, yes, I recognize I know quite nothing about medium formats camera, I'm just tempted...

[EDIT] If I can afford it![/EDIT]

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nicolas Claris said:
I'm curious about theMamiya ZD
To my knowledge, nobody did post about that camera in OPF...

Anybody has one, tested it or have thoughts about it?

What do you think in regards to price/MP/Quality etc...

Would seem the perfect one between DSLR and medium format.

Am I wrong? yes? why?

I'm still looking for larger files for larger prints (so need more "good" pixels)
clarity/purity
relative speed of shoot (1,5 file/sec is fine with me)
ultra wide angles (equiv to 24x36 12/15mm) to long lense (equiv to 24x36 500mm)

Can the Mamiya ZD offer all this and even more?

And, yes, I recognize I know quite nothing about medium formats camera, I'm just tempted...

[EDIT] If I can afford it![/EDIT]

Hi Nicolas,

Unfortunately, there are some unresolved quality issues with the Mamiya ZD according to important guys here that I can't name. However it appears that it may be solved in the next 4 months or so.

Meanwhile the Mamya can be used wih Phase One or Aptus backs.

I hope to start testing newer backs with the Mamiya.

Asher

Tom Henkel

Well that smells a little funny....

Asher Kelman said:
Hi Nicolas,

Unfortunately, there are some unresolved quality issues with the Mamiya ZD according to important guys here that I can't name. However it appears that it may be solved in the next 4 months or so.

Meanwhile the Mamya can be used wih Phase One or Aptus backs.

I hope to start testing newer backs with the Mamiya.

Asher

...So availability now seems to be about PMA 07? And a lot of people expect a new 1D in the same general spec range at PMA 07. Either the original Mamiya ZD announcement was pure vaporware or Mamiya has got to have the worst luck in the world. Sounds very suspicious to me.

Tom

Paul Caldwell

ZD shipment

From reading other forums, I thought that the camera version of the ZD was how shipping as many people have posted alot of images. However the ZD back never shipped and may not appear at all.

Several shooters in theh UK post ZD shots on Lum Landscape quite often.

Paul Caldwell

Asher Kelman

Paul,

If you have any names then I'll write to them!

I'd love to have files to mess with!

The ZD back is something that Mamiya needs. If it was competent, it would be out right now, you can be sure.

I'd love to see the back working. A reasonable price could very well reopen a lot of interest in MF.

Asher

Paul Caldwell

names

I personally don't have any, but on the medium format forum on Lum landscape, there have been several posts on the ZD and one person has posted several outdoor scenic work.

Quentin from the UK posts alot on that forum and has a ZD camera, not the back. He has posted alot of info on raw files, what software he uses etc.

I have personally left the Lum Landscape forum due to recent issues I had on one of their other forums or I would send you the link.

Paul

Asher Kelman

Paul,

Thanks, I'll do some work. It looks like the company that distributes Mamiya in the USA makes its own decisions. Interesting if they sold them here, we might have everyone trashing Mamiya!!

As it is, w're sort of ZD-starved, cheated, deprived and challenged!

Asher