• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Two windows...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, Michael,

I hope you don't mind architectural company.

_MG_4920_CroppedN_2 Windows.jpg

Asher Kelman: Two Windows

An homage

Asher

Rob Naylor

I really like the idea, but it could have been better executed.
This is so clearly a play in geometry, but it could have, and should have been better presented (ie middle window vertical and the whole image centered and symmetrical.
The fact it is out of alignment and askew just demonstrates a sloppily taken image rather than an image with geometric qualities.

The massive amount of mid-tone has effectively removed the punch from this image. The sky has been underexposed so much that its tones are now the same as the wall, this IMO has made the image unrealistic and flat.

I would like to see the original colour version for comparison.

Michael Nagel

I really like the idea, but it could have been better executed.
This is so clearly a play in geometry, but it could have, and should have been better presented (ie middle window vertical and the whole image centered and symmetrical.
The fact it is out of alignment and askew just demonstrates a sloppily taken image rather than an image with geometric qualities.

The massive amount of mid-tone has effectively removed the punch from this image. The sky has been underexposed so much that its tones are now the same as the wall, this IMO has made the image unrealistic and flat.
Rob,

Thanks for taking your time and stopping by. I understand your point of view.

Now - what if this was intentional? (Hint: It is)
I have seen a plethora of symmetrical, perfectly aligned pictures with strong up to exaggerated contrast and I am increasingly bored because perfection can be boring.

Another question: Does a picture have to be realistic? I don't think so.

Tonalities and contrast are as I wanted them to be to.
Call it an experiment if it fits you, for me it is just a play with (or against?) too common viewing habits.

As you like symmetry, here is one for you.

Best regards,
Michael

Rob Naylor

Thanks for the explanation Michael, point well made,
IMO perhaps more off-centred and askewed would have made the difference clearer and more acceptable.
Personally, I love images that push the boundaries and challenge the senses.

I looked at the beautifully symmetrical image you proffered, and I acknowledge 100% your ability to capture symmetry, the failed striplight is the sort of quirky addition that really appeals to me (and YES I believe this WAS deliberate as you could have easily moved further down the station to omit it)
A great image! as are many others in your Flickr Stream

Michael Nagel

Rob,

I enjoy the freedom of posting occasionally (the percentage varies from viewer to viewer) unusual pictures (others might consider it bad) and I am not afraid of negative reactions - I actually appreciate them as well, as long as these are more than just an emotional 'Don't like that <insert your favorite four-letter word here>!'.

Thanks for the compliment - though the needle of my irony detector climbed a bit on the scale while reading it. ;-)

Best regards,
Michael

fahim mohammed

Michael, I like the picture for its dis-symmetry. Lends a sense of drama. Imbalance. Uncertainty.

Perfect horizons and verticals are so boring. So predictable.

Need fresh air. Need contrast. Something to jerk one up from sleep.

Best.

p.s. perfect symmetry ( courtesy of Wikipedia ).

p946380270.png