• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Seven Sisters and a Dog

Rob Naylor

Dog and the Seven Sisters cliffs at Beachy Head, Sussex, England

1. Waiting

6582824397_97921843b3_b.jpg

2. Catch!

6582821575_574f3ea7df_b.jpg

Jarmo Juntunen

I like the first one especially! Dog's colour fits in the landscape nicely. Looks like a place to visit, maybe the next time I'm in the UK.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Dog and the Seven Sisters cliffs at Beachy Head, Sussex, England.

1. Waiting

6582824397_97921843b3_b.jpg

2. Catch!

6582821575_574f3ea7df_b.jpg

Rob,

This is beyond imagination idyllic, pristine and painterly. The colors are just so right. The waves and the dog energize the images. But in the invisible foreground there's a blanket of infinite tranquility.You've represented relaxation and escape in such an economical and rareCongratulations on such really fine work. These are fashion.

I'd imagined that these were painting by Norman Rockwell, the much-admired American painter illustrating the life in the USA. He showed the ordinary folk i their relaxation, hairdressing, soda fountain, homes and more. The dog tells us so much more than it's a hound happy at being on the beach. We see in our mind the people behind it, throwing the ball! We can imagine the care stuffed with a picnic and cans of Pepsi, Mountain Dew and Budweiser or two!

Congratulations on such fine work. These are worthy of exhibition!

Asher

BTW, who's dog was it and how on earth did you find this place?

Asher Kelman

I've just returned from the LA Art Show 2014. These pictures can stand with any of the works. This is one of the most worthy sets of images I've seen tonight!

Asher

Asher Kelman

WOW !
Thank you all for your lovely comments, made my day :)

Rob,

Pictures like these two are not casual shots, but will you make more?

I don't know whether or not the experience you give here with these two pictures was planned or serendipitous. Either way, looking at the image and reviewing your thoughts at the time might be a good idea so that you can mine this "happening", distill the underlying constructs and apply this to new work. What I see is the provision of a scene which allows us to imagine what's not shown there but obviously present. This is a human presence and some significant activity or purpose.

I'd love to have your thoughts on this and whether you might be planning more of this strength and standing?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

I've just returned from the LA Art Show 2014. These pictures can stand with any of the works. This is one of the most worthy sets of images I've seen tonight!

Asher
Nothing negative about Rob's images which are quite good, but this does kind of give the idea that the level of the exposed works isn't that high. Is that so?

Rob Naylor

Asher

I am quite surprised at your comments here.
I would have hoped it was fairly obvious that the majority of my images are given a little consideration before taking.
Perhaps a review of my last four posts would demonstrate.

However, I do understand your comment, and in answer, no, I did not consider the "hidden" subject, these images were seen and shot for their immediate and obvious value (IMO). I do, on occasion, take "contrived" images, examples are "The Ghosts of La Chatre", "Electric Avenue" and "Moderne Girl".

Here is another highly contrived image - does this remind you of anything?
Nothing hidden, all in full view, like a flying ("silver") hammer ** ;)

8505124422_afd617e0b3_z.jpg

I now need to put down my Bordeaux, and go to bed!

** Maxwell's :)

Asher Kelman

Nothing negative about Rob's images which are quite good, but this does kind of give the idea that the level of the exposed works isn't that high. Is that so?

Cem,

The opposite. I would advocate that Rob's images are exceptional. The pictures shown at the LA Art Show are wonderful too, but these have been made as if with a very sharp fast mind. That's why I asked about the background thinking. I'm impressed no matter what the thinking before the picture was taken. No matter why the image was taken, also included are people not seen by the camera. That's pretty powerful and gives us something more to exercise our imaginations. Art that adds that opportunity is, in my opinion, worth a little more than art that explains everything.

Asher