• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Anyone using the Lensbaby 3G yet?

Tom Henkel

As I recall these things were supposed to start shipping in November. Just wondering if anyone has one, and what do you think? I have a Lensbaby 2.0, which I use occasionally (but certainly not frequently). I'm on the fence on whether another one would be a good investment.

Tom

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I recently received one, Tom. (I, too, had a 2.0 and enjoyed using it occasionally. It will be a Christmas gift to my niece on Monday.) I've only had a brief chance to experiment with the 3G but I can see that it will fulfill what I most wanted with a Lensbaby. The ability to fine-tune the size and location of the focus area, and then lock it into place, will be essential for making longer, mounted exposures as well as for repeating the lens' setting. The 3G greatly opens the range of possibilities for exploring creative applications with the Lensbaby. It's a pretty good piece of glass for what it is and a generally well engineered little gizmo. If you enjoy your 2.0 I think you'll really enjoy the 3G.

Joel Slack

I thought I saw some Lensbaby action in your fine gallery, Ken. I never considered the option of using one until I looked at some of the shots there, and the mood it created. Very nice work. I wonder if a Lensbaby would yield any creative advantages in nature/landscape work, though...

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Thank you for your kind comments, Joel.

Actually I think that the new 3G is particularly well-suited for interpretive nature and landscape work, due mainly to its lock-able settings and fine-tunable focus. If your budget allows, I recommend also getting the macro lens set and the wide-angle lens.

Also don't overlook the possibilities for using the LensBaby 3G with lighted night scenes.