• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Seattle equinox

shot from Kerry Park, overlooking downtown Seattle, with Mt. Rainier in the background. this is the quintessential "Seattle" photo, and Kerry Park is always crowded on clear days with people snapping shots of the Seattle skyline... 30D with a Tamron 24-135 lens at 24mm, 1/6 sec @ f16 with a polarizer.

IMG_8429sm.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I love this view! what is there either side? Is there more for a pano? I don't know the area yet!

I get the feeling that tihs is a huge challenge as there must be many pictures to compete with.

Do you live in the area? If so, an IR picture would be great using a filter which allows some red through but blocks the visible light. This would totally cut through the haze!

You would add the filter to the front of your lens.

Anyway, this is impressive.

Is it late afternoon?

Asher

hi Asher,

yes, i live nearby, in a suburb about 15 miles away.

this was shot at about 6:15 in the evening, just as the sun was setting. to the right is Puget Sound, and to the left, from this viewpoint, you can see a bit more of downtown before the hillside i was standing on gets in the way. i don't have an IR filter... not sure if one would work with my 30D...

Joel Slack

I LOVE Seattle! That is the quintessential shot, isn't it? I kind of like the hazy background as it gives more of a sense of distance to Mt. Ranier, but I'd also like to see one on a day when high pressure had blown out all that haze---if such a day has ever occurred in Seattle!

I also very much like your night shot. I think it might be nice if there were some way to incorporate part of Elliot Bay into the shot, with a ferry or two, though this might not be an option at the elevation from which you shoot.

Nice shots!

Andrew Stannard

pro member
I love that first shot Winston! Works better for me than the second. Like Joel said, the slight haze adds a lovely feeling of depth to the image.

How far from Seattle is Mt Rainier? I've only been once and it chucking it down with rain, so no chance of seeing that view. Am very envious!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
What magnificent images! I am so excited to see how beautiful Seattle is! Thank you for posting where and how you shot these. We are visiting friends that live up north, I have never been there, and hopefully I will have the opportunity to see the beauty you have shown us through my own lenses!

Andrew Stannard said:
I love that first shot Winston! Works better for me than the second. Like Joel said, the slight haze adds a lovely feeling of depth to the image.

How far from Seattle is Mt Rainier? I've only been once and it chucking it down with rain, so no chance of seeing that view. Am very envious!

thanks, Andy... Mt. Rainier is about 55 miles as the crow flies from where i took that photo. it's been raining pretty much steadily since November 1st; i think we've had maybe half a dozen half-decent days in the last 2 months. best time to get a shot like these is in early fall. it's clearer and less hazy than in summer, but the weather's still generally good.

Lee Roberts

I love both those images, Winston. The way the sun is just touching the mountain top in the first one and the crispness of the time exposure. Great job.