• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gone fishing

Tom dinning

Registrant*
The email opens.
"Photograph Wharf 2 project. Need photos by Tuesday next week. Arial shot would be nice"

A week to organize the companies involved, get permission to enter, find a hard hat and steel capped boots and look like a building construction worker. That involves looking dumb and swearing a lot. Should be easy.

I'll do a reconnoiter on Sunday.

Mm. Gates locked. Looks 'interesting'.

_DSC8405 by thedingo0099, on Flickr​

Tuesday comes and it looks like rain. BOM says it will clear mid morning. What would they know?

The site manager shows me around.
"Do you want a high shot"
"Sure"
"Johnno will take you"
"In what?
"That "

_DSC8436 by thedingo0099, on Flickr​

"****! That's a shopping basket"
"You want to go or not?"
My head says NO, my guts say no, my insurance policy says no, my knowledge of engineering says no.
"****, yeah!"

_DSC8418 by thedingo0099, on Flickr​

Dangling in the breeze at 100m above the water, I feel like a worm on a fishing rod. Johnno does this all day. I'm happy for the ride and the shots. The client was happy as well.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

_DSC8418 by thedingo0099, on Flickr​

I'm so impressed, Tom! Did you empty your bladder before going up? Do they know about such things as safety harnesses? Was there another guy with you in the basket? How did you choose the camera and lens. What size do they need prints?

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Your asking me all that? I was dangling by a mere thread. My useless life flashed before me. That took up the first three seconds. I thought of Christine without me. Mm, looks good for her. Who was that bloke she was with? I think I heard someone yell "jump". Was that Fahim?

I took one camera and one lens on the trip. Wide is what I wanted. 17mm on the D800 will always cover well and provide enough pixels for as big as they want.

Funny thing, though. Once I had my camera to my eye it all became quite relaxing. I've been a damn sight higher in less but it was the sense of control I missed. Johnno was still on the ground with the remote for the crane, talking to me through a hand set he strapped to the basket.
"You want to go higher? " his muffled voice projecting into the blue beyond.
" high as you like" I yelled back. I could just make him out on the ground below. He was sitting on a pallet of bricks with a coffee and cigarette pissing himself laughing, I'm sure.

As I passed over the roof of one of the buildings I heard a familiar and comforting cry.
"The **** is taking pictures. Brown eye him, someone"
I love building sites.

Antonio Correia

I find this an interesting experience.

I would have jumped in also, as you did.

Good work ! Hope final images impress the client !

:)

Tom dinning

Registrant*
So, it was just one picture for documenting where they are up to right now? Are you now given the task of follow up images?

This should be a well-paid assignment!

Asher

Seems like I might have to come out of retirement, Asher.
I am now the contract photographer in Darwin for the Sydney based magazine which writes for all major construction companies throughout Australia. The magazine isn't interested in finished products. They deal with the construction process so its engineers, form workers, trades people, subcontractors and associated businesses, like lawyers, accountants. They tell me when at what stage they want me to enter.
Darwin isn't a big city as you know so we only have a dozen or so projects going at once that they are interested in reporting on. But it looks promising for the interest aspect alone. I've completed 2 shoots so far and have learnt a lot about the construction industry.
It was one of those jobs where someone rings you and says "Can you do it? " and I say "yes" knowing full well I'll need to do my homework.
Its not a one shot affair. It involves all aspects of the construction. Coordinating the shoot is the hardest part. The blokes on site were extremely helpful. I told them they would be famous.
Christine is used to a teachers wage. I do enjoy it when I can pay my way.
"How much? " she said. "Just for taking pictures? Give me that camera. Even I will hang from a basket for that much."
Then she handed me the electricity bill to pay.

There is nothing lucrative about being married to Christine.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Seems like I might have to come out of retirement, Asher.
I am now the contract photographer in Darwin for the Sydney based magazine which writes for all major construction companies throughout Australia. The magazine isn't interested in finished products. They deal with the construction process so its engineers, form workers, trades people, subcontractors and associated businesses, like lawyers, accountants. They tell me when at what stage they want me to enter.

An excellent connection, Tom. Make a calendar with one of your pictures like this and send it to all these subcontractors and professionals! You will soon have a very busy following and will need assistants.....to shred the excess money you receive after paying the electric bills!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
An excellent connection, Tom. Make a calendar with one of your pictures like this and send it to all these subcontractors and professionals! You will soon have a very busy following and will need assistants.....to shred the excess money you receive after paying the electric bills!

Asher

Yeah, right! I'll put a photo of me on the front wearing nothing but a rose stuck up my butt. Would you take the shot for me? Bring your ladder.