• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Old Coal Chute

This old timer is slated for destruction as "an attractive nuisance":

70054711.jpg

There are very few of these relics of the steam locomotive era left, so it will be a shame to lose this one. Haunted today primarily by pigeons, ghosts, and bored local teens.

An elderly gentleman told me that, as a kid, he enjoyed watching water dumped over cattle cars on hot summer days during WWII.

Tom Henkel

Interesting structure...

...but I can't say I'm wild about the composition. I think there needs to be a little more drama in the shot -- something that takes advantage of the interesting angles. Maybe if you got closer and shot looking up with a WA lens you might get an interesting perspective. I realize you were trying to get the train tracks in the shot, but I wonder if a different angle on the building might be better? Or maybe get physically down on the train tracks (I assume these tracks aren't in use, right?). The shot just seems too static to me.

Tom

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tom H,

There's, IMHO, potential for bringing out increased drama in this picture by PS work. Then we can see how it works.

Is this O.K. to do Tom R?

Asher

Ray West

Hi Tom,

Could I suggest, you take as many photos of this building as you can, from all angles, construction details, etc. It could well be, that a few years after it is demolished, no records of it will exist, and it would be of interest for those folk interested in this type of building, rail historians, model makers and the like.

Best wishes,

Ray

Coal chute

I agree with Ray. Forget the drama for a moment and save the building. It is lovely. The Bechers would love it, and in fact would set a student to work finding out what similar structures have survived like it and capturing them for comparison. Their photographs would be taken from a little closer to reduce the effect of the tracks, using a wider angle lens or an elevated viewpoint. And they would select a grey day to keep the dramatic sky from distracting attention from the building's design intentions. But that is because they are cataloguers of human vernacular design.

scott

Ray and Scott,

I've been shooting this chute off and on through the years. Your idea to cover it thoroughly is a good one, and I will make a project of it.

Tom,

I can see your point. Composing an image with a stationary subject should be a straightforward endeavor, but two of the three lines are very busy with traffic, and the post-9/11 zeitgeist makes me careful when roaming around nonpublic sections of railroad. I could probably call city authorities ahead of time to let them know what's going on, but hate to make a production of it, especially since it is the conditions of the moment (light and clouds) that inspire visits to the place.

Walking around and quickly shooting handheld is one thing, but setting up a tripod and carefully composing shots from ground level and up is another.

Asher,

The raw image should be available. Can't wait to see what can be done with it.

Thanks,

Tom

Tim Armes

Asher Kelman said:
Tom H,

There's, IMHO, potential for bringing out increased drama in this picture by PS work. Then we can see how it works.

Is this O.K. to do Tom R?

Asher
Asher,

When I first saw the picture I didn't get any emotional response from it, and my first response was also that it could be improved by better compostion and - more importantly - better lighting (no offense Tom).

When you suggested retouching my first reaction was that retouching should be reserved for use once the underlying photo was right. Then I stood back a little and tried to look at what the image could be...

Here's my attempt. It's only a 10 min job on an uncalibrated monitor, but brings the point home to me that I all too often gloss over photos that are in fact interesting, and that could be made to shine with a little bit of time.... Thanks for the kick!

CoalChute.jpg
coalchute.jpg

Tim

Tom Henkel

My take..

I agree with others that since this structure is endangered, you might want to go back and take some more shots for posterity. While you're at it, you might want to experiment with some different angles as well. Here's my take on the original image. I flipped it because I felt the train tracks draw your eye into the shot better if they begin in the lower left corner.

Tom

72537183.jpg

Tim and Tom,

Ha, this was a wonderful experience! Thanks to both of you for your thoughts and attempts to make a silk purse out of this sow's ear. One thing is very clear up front: midday lighting, even in November, is a good thing to avoid.

Another lesson learned: subtle changes in composition can have significant effects on the end result. I don't know that flipping the image accomplished much, but the slight crop at both sides so the track begins in the corner of the frame was an effective touch. I also suspect the vertical elements were straightened a bit as well, and is a step worth doing.

Your time and efforts are very much appreciated. I've learned a thing or two.

Regards,

Tom