• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon IS Mode 2 panning orientation question

Joel Slack

I've seen several photo web-fora with less-than-definitive discussions about the capability of the IS to pan on mode 2 when camera orientation is outside of "landscape." The manual is less than specific (100-400, at least), and I hear people saying you can pan when in portrait orientation or even diagonally, and the IS sensor detects the vector and restricts the IS perpendicular/normal to that motion---regardless of the direction.

If this is true, it is really amazing. I imagined it would operate when panning on the horizontal, but never dreamed it would work as well in portrait orientation, much less in other directions. Can someone direct me to a definitive answer, hopefully with Canon stamp of approval on it (the Canon museum article I saw was also very nonspecific)?

Hi, Joel:

Every Canon SLR lens that has an Image Stabilizer built in has two so-called "gyro sensors" oriented at right angles to each other. With this design, the level of IS functionality is the same whether the camera is in landscape or portrait orientation. When the camera is in portrait orientation, the level of IS functionality is the same whether the hand grip of the camera is on the top or the bottom.

In all of these cases, IS lenses that have a Mode 2 setting operate as follows when Mode 2 is selected: Both gyro sensors sample the direction and amplitude of lens shake simultaneously and continuously whenever the IS system is activated. The resulting data is analyzed by a dedicated microcomputer in the lens, and that microcomputer in turn controls the behavior of the electromagnets surrounding the movable optical components of the IS lens. These electromagnets are also oriented at right angles to each other. If the lens is set to Mode 2 *and* the microcomputer determines that intentional panning is taking place, it shuts off stabilization in the panning direction regardless of camera orientation. If, on the other hand, the microcomputer does not detect intentional panning, then horizontal and vertical stabilization is executed simultaneously, just as it is in Mode 1.

Canon anticipates that in most cases, the camera and lens will be held either horizontally or vertically, in order to keep horizon lines straight in the resulting picture. In such cases, the typical behavior of the IS system is covered by the explanation above. If, on the other hand, the panning direction is diagonal with respect to the orientation of the gyro sensors, and Mode 2 is selected, there is a possibility that the level of panning detected by each gyro sensor will be sufficient to cause the microcomputer in the lens to shut off stabilization in both directions at once. Since the decision to shut off stabilization in Mode 2 is made by the microcomputer, there is no overt way for the photographer to control it.

Let me know if this helps to answer your question.

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall
Director/Media & Customer Relationship
Camera Marketing Group/Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
This is -very- useful information, Chuck, even for an old Canon salt like me. I have three Canon lenses with IS but never completely understood the practical difference between the two modes. Even Canon Lens Work III is a bit vague on the subject. If only the instruction sheets would just reprint your post, above!

Thank you.

Joel Slack

Thanks very much for your assistance, Mr. Westfall, the explanation is exactly what I was looking for. There seems to be a lot of confusion/misinformation being promulgated by wel-meaning folks on some internet photo boards (hard to avoid), and it's a great relief to get such a detailed tutorial from someone whose expertise I can trust.

John_Schwaller

Chuck, what is the "mode" of the IS on an IS lens, such as the 24-105, which does not have a mode switch?

Thanks....John Schwaller

Chuck Westfall(Canon USA) said:
Hi, Joel:

Every Canon SLR lens that has an Image Stabilizer built in has two so-called "gyro sensors" oriented at right angles to each other. With this design, the level of IS functionality is the same whether the camera is in landscape or portrait orientation. When the camera is in portrait orientation, the level of IS functionality is the same whether the hand grip of the camera is on the top or the bottom.

In all of these cases, IS lenses that have a Mode 2 setting operate as follows when Mode 2 is selected: Both gyro sensors sample the direction and amplitude of lens shake simultaneously and continuously whenever the IS system is activated. The resulting data is analyzed by a dedicated microcomputer in the lens, and that microcomputer in turn controls the behavior of the electromagnets surrounding the movable optical components of the IS lens. These electromagnets are also oriented at right angles to each other. If the lens is set to Mode 2 *and* the microcomputer determines that intentional panning is taking place, it shuts off stabilization in the panning direction regardless of camera orientation. If, on the other hand, the microcomputer does not detect intentional panning, then horizontal and vertical stabilization is executed simultaneously, just as it is in Mode 1.

Canon anticipates that in most cases, the camera and lens will be held either horizontally or vertically, in order to keep horizon lines straight in the resulting picture. In such cases, the typical behavior of the IS system is covered by the explanation above. If, on the other hand, the panning direction is diagonal with respect to the orientation of the gyro sensors, and Mode 2 is selected, there is a possibility that the level of panning detected by each gyro sensor will be sufficient to cause the microcomputer in the lens to shut off stabilization in both directions at once. Since the decision to shut off stabilization in Mode 2 is made by the microcomputer, there is no overt way for the photographer to control it.

Let me know if this helps to answer your question.

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall

Hi, John:

If a Canon Image Stabilizer lens has no mode switch, it's always in Mode 1.

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall