• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Music on the street

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi Tom

I like this but it feels a bit top heavy.

James

Well it might be, james. Not something I'd notice, though. The beauty of the music and violinist had captured my attention beyond any capacity to think about composition. She struggled with any eye contact with me or the camera and when she stopped she spoke softly with a European accent. Dutch I think.
Under such mesmerizing circumstances, you will forgive me, I'm sure.

James Lemon

Well it might be, james. Not something I'd notice, though. The beauty of the music and violinist had captured my attention beyond any capacity to think about composition. She struggled with any eye contact with me or the camera and when she stopped she spoke softly with a European accent. Dutch I think.
Under such mesmerizing circumstances, you will forgive me, I'm sure.

It's a great picture Tom! I would crop just a tad off the top above the bow if it were mine.

James

Tom dinning

Registrant*
It's a great picture Tom! I would crop just a tad off the top above the bow if it were mine.

James

What? And ruin my picture.
You have no taste or discernment at all James.
I mean this in the nicest possible way, and to avoid any form of abuse thrown your way fro moi.

Never never never never never never never never never never never never never .........................
tell me what I should do with my photos or what you would do with them if you got your grubby hands on them.

Or I'll have Queen Charlotte call for your head on a stake and placed at my door.

Xxx

James Lemon

What? And ruin my picture.
You have no taste or discernment at all James.
I mean this in the nicest possible way, and to avoid any form of abuse thrown your way fro moi.

Never never never never never never never never never never never never never .........................
tell me what I should do with my photos or what you would do with them if you got your grubby hands on them.

Or I'll have Queen Charlotte call for your head on a stake and placed at my door.

Xxx

You asked for discussion when you posted your photo. All photos are open for critique unless otherwise stated. The subject is the most important part of any photograph and is deserving of all the attention that the photographer can give it.

James

Tom dinning

Registrant*
You asked for discussion when you posted your photo. All photos are open for critique unless otherwise stated. The subject is the most important part of any photograph and is deserving of all the attention that the photographer can give it.

James

1. Discussion isn't critique. Besides, I asked for photographic contribution as well. Where's yours?
2. My photos have never been open for alterations, either physical or suggestive.
3. The subject is NOT necessarily the most important part of MY photos. The photo IS the subject.
4. The only attention I want anyone to give my photos is directed at the photo as it is, not as they would like it or think it should be.
5. Please refer to 'Criticising Photographs' by Terry Barrett for further information on understanding images.

The whole point of your comment, James, as well meaning as it was, is that it has no point. I'm not interested in how you would take a photo that I took. As far as I know, you may be a mug at taking photos. Where would that get me.
If, as you say, its a "great"picture, cutting the top off it would simply make it either a different picture in as much as it would be shorter.
You see, telling me you can do better with my images is probably as offensive as you could come without telling me you ****ed my mother.

Please don't assume this conversation closes all other conversations we might have. Its all about knowing were the line is. You just didn't see it. You're forgiven.

You're continuing friend

Last edited:

James Lemon

1. Discussion isn't critique. Besides, I asked for photographic contribution as well. Where's yours?
2. My photos have never been open for alterations, either physical or suggestive.
3. The subject is NOT necessarily the most important part of MY photos. The photo IS the subject.
4. The only attention I want anyone to give my photos is directed at the photo as it is, not as they would like it or think it should be.
5. Please refer to 'Criticising Photographs' by Terry Barrett for further information on understanding images.

The whole point of your comment, James, as well meaning as it was, is that it has no point. I'm not interested in how you would take a photo that I took. As far as I know, you may be a mug at taking photos. Where would that get me.
If, as you say, its a "great"picture, cutting the top off it would simply make it either a different picture in as much as it would be shorter.
You see, telling me you can do better with my images is probably as offensive as you could come without telling me you ****ed my mother.

Please don't assume this conversation closes all other conversations we might have. Its all about knowing were the line is. You just didn't see it. You're forgiven.

You're continuing friend

Hi Tom

I will decline to disagree!

James

Charlotte Thompson

An interesting shot Tom. How did the bubble come about? Was this an insert?
also I will not cut off any ones head for an opinion on subject matter. I think other ideas people have can be very valuable!

Q. Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim reminded me of how many times I have photographed buskers on the street.

Join me in making a feast of it by posting and discussing here.

_DSF4181 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr​

Tom,

Always thought you had steel balls, but never imagined them so huge! No wonder they have to be left in the street while you roam around, harassing people with your camera!!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
An interesting shot Tom. How did the bubble come about? Was this an insert?
also I will not cut off any ones head for an opinion on subject matter. I think other ideas people have can be very valuable!

Q. Charlotte-

A bit of street art, Charlotte. Adelaide is our city of culture and churches. Quite a pleasant place to visit. The mall is always filled with buskers. It's 3500 km from where I live but I'm always happy to jump on a plane and go see a show or visit the galleries for a new exhibition or just walk the parklands.

" I think other ideas people have can be very valuable! "

...... Or not!

While I will defend your honor with my trusty sword, M'am, I do need some practice. For this reason alone I occasionally take a slice off someone's shoulders just to keep in form.
One must continually use it for fear of loosing it, don't you think?

OK, here's another; Young Fellaz Brass Band:

dscf4203-2.jpg

Paul Abbott

Tom, o' hard-bitten saint of the hardback, James is so right about losing the top part of your image (because it does distract, somewhat too). :)
While you may complain and proclaim about that ideal ruining your picture, I think you had a head start in doing that yourself through some slightly improper framing. You can see the difference it has just by scrolling down.
It's a good picture and will be served well by a good design.

I'm just saying...don't wish to be annoying, mate. :D

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom, o' hard-bitten saint of the hardback, James is so right about losing the top part of your image (because it does distract, somewhat too). :)
While you may complain and proclaim about that ideal ruining your picture, I think you had a head start in doing that yourself through some slightly improper framing. You can see the difference it has just by scrolling down.
It's a good picture and will be served well by a good design.

I'm just saying...don't wish to be annoying, mate. :D

Hi Paul.
Let me assure you. James is not " so right"; he is 'so opinionated' as we all are. Having an opinion on matters and you agreeing with him does not make it "so right-er"; just agreed apron.
If you are distracted by such trivia then you are of no interest to me. Being distracted by meaningless twat is something you could address to improve your realization of the values photographs can provide to all (but a few anal retentives).

I'm not suggestion my picture is going to be "ruined" or improved; I am telling you that any change made by me or under your suggestion would alter the image from what it is.
I don't profess to be a seeker of aesthetics or set my standards by the rules of others.
There is nothing in my images more than content.
Judge my images by your standards and you will be cut to the quick each time.
I'm not interested in your judgement.
And if you can't think past the way the picture is cropped don't bother.

Seriously! Don't you blokes get it! How thick can you be? Let's see if you can't think past your own egos

Tom dinning

Registrant*
OK, here's another; Young Fellaz Brass Band:

dscf4203-2.jpg

Such magic in the street, Murray.
The tapping of the feet, the interaction of each musician, the randomness of the arrangement, the color.
This is culture in a single shot. I can almost smell the street and hear the music.
Such cultural pastimes has great value in our history. They remind us of how we connect with each other and how we can connect with those who pass by.
Whether you are a fan of this type of music or not you cannot possibly avoid being affected on passing.
This photo is my next best thing to being there.

Thanks Murray

Paul Abbott

Tommy boy, your just blowing in the wind and barking up the wrong tree. If, when any of your images are critiqued or someone finds fault with them (bearing in mind there are certain aesthetics that can need attention for making a good photograph), you cover yourself with all of this holier than thou twaddle and showing that you can't take any constructive criticism.

In the interest of your photograph here, confess to me your view for leaving the top part of the image in, and how do you see it working aesthetically for the image. Otherwise, what is the point of you being on here if no one can't say anything to you in regard to your images, and you can't constructively make a point in the interest of being on the 'for' side of the argument?

I really do think that you are the one with the biggest ego on here. If you think the rest of us have ego's just because we care to make suggestions or state something that might be worth thinking or talking about, and show a certain objectiveness; then you have another think coming.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tommy boy, your just blowing in the wind and barking up the wrong tree. If, when any of your images are critiqued or someone finds fault with them (bearing in mind there are certain aesthetics that can need attention for making a good photograph), you cover yourself with all of this holier than thou twaddle and showing that you can't take any constructive criticism.

In the interest of your photograph here, confess to me your view for leaving the top part of the image in, and how do you see it working aesthetically for the image. Otherwise, what is the point of you being on here if no one can't say anything to you in regard to your images, and you can't constructively make a point in the interest of being on the 'for' side of the argument?

I really do think that you are the one with the biggest ego on here. If you think the rest of us have ego's just because we care to make suggestions or state something that might be worth thinking or talking about, and show a certain objectiveness; then you have another think coming.

Confession time is it? Serious?
You don't get it, Paul. No explaining to you will broaden your perspective.
You stay right where you are.
I'll say it once more in simple language. This is not an argument. This is a statement of fact.
The fact is I take photos in a way that makes photos look like I want them to.
Got it so far? I'm taking it slow for you.
Next.
If you don't like that tell someone else, not me.
You with me?
I'll assume that's a yes. You can't be that thick.
If you have anything to say about any of my images beyond your narrow vision of aesthetics I'm happy to listen.
That isn't a guarantee to conform or agree.
Anything you don't get yet?
Silence was the stern reply.
Good. You must be still reading.
Last.
I don't want my photos to be 'better' according to you standards or anyone else's. Just my standards.
Those standards may not suit you.
I won't ever tell you to conform to mine.
Promise!

Is that clear or do I just tell you to FUK OFF and be done with it.

And don't call me "Tommy boy". The last bloke who said that in a threatening manner is still picking gravel from his arse and struggles to chew on the right side of his now distorted face.

I'm not threatening you in any way. Just letting you know the safest place to be when you call me by a name limited in use by my mother and sister it where you are right now; where I can't get at you.
Cheers
Your Aussie mate

Paul Abbott

Hey Tommy boy, is that why you post them on Flickr? You probably get more of an ignorant, quiet acceptance over there. Do they like them at a push of a button? How many gold stars do you get on them over there? :D

Anyway, it's not any of my standards...it's just a practical and objective analysis and I don't really think I have a narrow aesthetic vision at all.
It was just so easy to comment on your photograph here because of it's simple elements.
Having said that, it does need a little crop on the right side to omit that woman out of the scene. Damn, why didn't I see that earlier...Hold on, I've seen another version now; forget cropping out the top, just crop out the right edge, I believe that can work too. Sorry, there I go again. :)

Anyway, give it a try, don't be an outrage...you never know, you might come round to doing it and start to like it in the end.

Anyway, you need to take a chill pill, Tommo. Take things a bit easier mate, don't get so riled up every-time someone writes something you don't like to read about on your photos. Your upside down, the blood rushes to your head too frequently. Go get some dream-time, if you know what I mean...and when you do, make sure your head is pointing north. :)

Anyway, i'm going to search my archives for a similar picture to post on here then I can read what you might have to say about it. ;)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tom,

I will not tell you to crop anything since we know your pictures are finished. Still I will tell you how much, or not I like it. Not necessarily for you, but for me, as we already know you like what you have done. Rather what I like reflects on whether or not my own judgement is of any value to anyone.

It is also an indirect guide to how I think the forum is faring. If I like your pictures it reflects my own satisfaction with my own investment in OPF in as much pictures of worth are found here.

What I say is just my my personal reaction but it does provide some sign posts to what is most appreciated here.

That's the basic idea!

So while generally I like your work very much, if once in a while I express disdain, don't be offended as it merely further defines my quirkiness and is no measure of any "truth on the matter!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Really? You must be really good, then. I don't think anyone else manages to make photos look like they want them to. I certainly can't.

Then you're wasting your time, Jerome.

I'm satisfied, Not greedy. Living in hope of something better is for dreamers and the religious.

This bullshit about always doing better has its pitfalls, one of which is never being satisfied, another is surpassing one's abilities and skills, and then there is the so-called potential we never reach but always work towards. How defeatist is that.

Maybe I'm just weird. I've always been satisfied with the end result. That doesn't stop me from learning more and changing Satisfaction allows me to be content with what I have.
You should get out more and meet some satisfied people.
One thing is for sure; they hate others telling them how to improve what they have already done and are satisfied with. It usually turns out that any direction from an unsatisfied soul is worthless and narrow-minded.
If tomorrow is the only time I will ever reach my goal then how do I live today?

I know you disagree.

I dont give a fuk.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom,

I will not tell you to crop anything since we know your pictures are finished. Still I will tell you how much, or not I like it. Not necessarily for you, but for me, as we already know you like what you have done. Rather what I like reflects on whether or not my own judgement is of any value to anyone.

It is also an indirect guide to how I think the forum is faring. If I like your pictures it reflects my own satisfaction with my own investment in OPF in as much pictures of worth are found here.

What I say is just my my personal reaction but it does provide some sign posts to what is most appreciated here.

That's the basic idea!

So while generally I like your work very much, if once in a while I express disdain, don't be offended as it merely further defines my quirkiness and is no measure of any "truth on the matter!

Asher

Did you delete my post?

Paul Abbott

Then you're wasting your time, Jerome.

I'm satisfied, Not greedy. Living in hope of something better is for dreamers and the religious.

This bullshit about always doing better has its pitfalls, one of which is never being satisfied, another is surpassing one's abilities and skills, and then there is the so-called potential we never reach but always work towards. How defeatist is that.

I know you disagree.

I dont give a fuk.

I disagree, Tommy boy. Your too much of a broken biscuit. In fact your a crumb left in the bottom of the biscuit barrel rattling around, it seems. :)
So, after you mention the act of a higher seeking in a soft acknowledgement (over on 3rd element thread), you now choose to lambaste that ideal. There I was thinking that you were trying to achieve something along those lines. Even then, you said 'maybe' to that effect in reply to one of my comments on your photos.
Anyway, the thrill is always in the hunt just as much as what that hunt may get ya'... ;)

Your just like a gritty wind, ain't ya? But that's alright, i'm wearing goggles! :D

Paul Abbott

Hey Tommo, I thought i'd give you these 10 principles to chew on...

Good design is innovative.
Good design makes a product useful.
Good design is aesthetic.
Good design helps us to understand a product.
Good design is unobtrusive.
Good design is honest.
Good design is durable.
Good design is consequent to the last detail.
Good design is concerned with the environment.
Good design is as little design as possible.

Doug Kerr

Something is wrong with my browser.

I click on the shortcut for OPF, but it seems to take me to DPR.

Best regards,

Doug