• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Winter Scenes II: Got One You'd Like to Share Here?

Mary Bull

Hi, all you laid-backers!

One of my intentions when I posted my backlit red leaves was to start a conversation about how winter has treated different parts of our blue planet this year. So, here's a new thread to try for that.

In Tennessee, in the U.S., for instance, we have been relatively warm for the season--no snowfall yet, only some days when flurries flew in the air.

But Albuquerque, New Mexico, in the U.S., has had the unusual gift of 3 feet of snow not once, but twice!

I heard also, that the one-and-only L.A. has seen some white stuff.

Not to neglect points only a little northwest of Houston, TX, either, while cruising the U.S. on this quest.

And I've been hearing PM from European friends about the front attached to a low that gradually moved eastward from Iceland, culminating in the great storm last Thursday (January 18, 2007).

Anybody wth interesting pics from that?

Cem?

Nicolas?

Ray?

Stuart?

Well, I can't name all of you, can I!

But consider this a sort of Layback Cafe challenge. < she said with a smile>

Mary

P.S. Aussies, January summer pictures most welcome, also. < grin >

StuartRae

And I've been hearing PM from European friends about the front attached to a low that gradually moved eastward from Iceland, culminating in the great storm last Thursday (January 18, 2007).
Anybody wth interesting pics from that?

Not me! I was hiding under the table :)

Mary Bull

No laughing matter, but you still have me rolling on the floor laughing, Stuart.

Thanks a mil for the reply.

Mary

Jörgen Nyberg

Here in Sweden, we had a storm on the 14:th. Wasn't to easy to take any pictures, due to the saltwater flying in the air. The biggest waves was over 11 meters (36 feet).

_MG_3076-01.jpg

_MG_3086-01.jpg

And since you asked about winter, we finally got some snow here.

_MG_3212-01.jpg

Jörgen

Mary Bull

Swedish Storm, Swedish Snow from Jörgen

Jörgen,

How impressive these pictures are! They truly put me into the landscape and they more than answer my request.

Pictorially, my favorite is the first one, with the roiled blue water so clearly shown.

But I like the sense of threat in the forbidding grays of the second shot.

And your snow at sunset is most dramatic!

This is the Layback Cafe, and I'm just past being a beginning amateur hobbyist, so I only give an account of my total enjoyment of the images. They could not be improved upon, from my point of view. Also, I can appreciate how difficult it was to get the storm pictures, with the salt spray flying. That doubles my admiration of them.

Thanks a million for posting these.

Mary

Jörgen Nyberg

Thank's for your kind words Mary.

Yep, the storm pictures was quite a challenge. The wind reached 40 m/s (about 90 mph), nearly lost my jacket when the wind got underneath it, and tried to blow it over my head.
And all my gear was covered in salt, but hey, my gear needed a good cleaning anyway ;-)

Don't know if anybody noticed, but I've been experimenting with 16/9 crop for landscape pictures, and I think it works quite well.

Jörgen

Mary Bull

Jörgen Nyberg Braves the Storm's Salt Spray

Yep, the storm pictures was quite a challenge. The wind reached 40 m/s (about 90 mph), nearly lost my jacket when the wind got underneath it, and tried to blow it over my head.
And all my gear was covered in salt, but hey, my gear needed a good cleaning anyway ;-)
Ah, that's the spirit!
Don't know if anybody noticed, but I've been experimenting with 16/9 crop for landscape pictures, and I think it works quite well.
What does that mean, exactly?

Whatever it is, I like it.

Mary

Tom Henkel

Two from last winter....

So far, winter this year has been decidedly unscenic here. Here are a couple from last winter:

56152416.jpg

53382708.jpg

Aaron Strasburg

Albuquerque snow?

Yes, we had a wee bit of snow over the holidays. It really made travel a mess, both by air and by land. We had a good storm before Xmas which had mostly melted when we got really belted between Xmas and New Years. We ended up setting the 2 day snowfall record (officially a bit over 11" if I recall correctly, nearly 16" at my house) and nearly the record for the month of Dec (about 18").

Since this is a photography website:
72346906.jpg

72346875.jpg

Aaron

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Aaron!

You gave us autumn, now real snow!

Are these cropped? If so what were the originals?

Asher

Ivan Garcia

Not form this year … but a wintery set none the less.
This is part my garden, as it looked after a heavy snow fall 4 years ago.
Olympus C900Z (that’s the 1.3 MP folks) @6mm
f/2.8 1/30 sec ISO-200
IGD_00001.jpg

Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:

Aaron Strasburg

Those are uncropped. I just did an export to jpg at 800pix max from Lightroom, and I don't believe I did anything in Lightroom.... More here.

20D, 24-105, f/8, +1EV, ISO 100 for both. The first was taken when we snowshoed up the park near our house, the second in our backyard.

I wish the 20D were weathersealed. No problems, but it makes me nervous.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ivan,

That picture of the garden blanketted in snow with the wooden shed and its windows open is a greeting card! Wonderful.

Aaron,

I looked at your gallery. Yes, you do frame tight! You are lucky to have seasons that really are so clear and decorated. Here in California, leaves do come down but, it's no big thing.

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
And when we had "snow" her in Los Angeles last week, did any one get a capture? I was at work with no knowledge that white stuff had fallen at home. First time we've had it since 1989 I think. Beautful images.

Mary Bull

Aaron, wonderful scenes!

And at the gallery, being a pet lover, I particularly liked:

http://www.pbase.com/ats1911/image/72346882

So appealingly composed, with the fine color of the evergreen leaves and that small bunch of bright berries, and with the warm feeling from the dog's coat contrasting with the snow drift. The snow on that sniny black nose, the apparent question in that over-the-shoulder gaze--all so very evocative, to me.

Mary

Last edited by a moderator:

Mary Bull

Ivan, how well you captured that winter garden scene!

Tell about the lighting, please. The beautiful pink on the snow in front of the shed, the lovely succession of blue shadows beneath those snow-weighted tree branches.

And how well centered within the apparent pink spotlight, those footprints in the snow, approaching the shed!

Thank you.

Mary

Ivan Garcia

Hi Mary
Welcome back, and thank you for your kind words.
The lights are just my garden halogen lights… Although I like to take the credit… it is merely a coincidence that they are set up like that.
I opened the original file in CS2, adjusted levels and curves, and save to web, nothing else done.
The C900Z was my first point and shoot digital camera, my daughter is the proud owner now, she complains about the 1.3MP being too little, every time she does, I show her this picture, and I tell her the day she takes a picture as nice as that one, I’ll upgrade her. She replays; I used my “big camera” for that one.
Asher.
It is indeed my yearly Xmas greeting card, it has not snowed heavily since, and so it is getting a bit old. I can’t wait for the next heavy snow falls, I recon the 5D will do a wonderful job.

Aaron Strasburg

We definitely have seasons here. Spring is windy, summer hot, autumn is best, winter is cool but not usually this cool. While much of the US has had warm weather we've been quite cool, with a lot of moisture. An El Nino winter.

Thanks for the kind words, Mary. Tilly's quite a character. Every time she came back in the house while we had snow on the ground she'd have it on her nose. She loved it.

Ivan, great shot. Very peaceful, perfect for a Xmas card.

This was our Xmas card this year:
71427471.jpg

(from my December workshop with Alain)

That's not snow, it's gypsum sand from White Sands National Monument. Beautiful place.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Winter here has been quite mild so far, although it's just beginning to bear down on us this week.

Here's one from a collection that I shot at Jaume Plensa's "Crown Fountain" last March during our last winter storm of 2005/2006.

57196953.jpg

And another from the same collection taken later that evening at Anish Kapoor's snow-coverered "Cloud Gate" sculpture.
63414901.jpg

You can see many more (normal) scenes at my galleries, linked in my signature.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Maryyyyyyyyy!
I'm so glad your back! I guess you've been really busy ;-)

I answer lately as I just return from A 10 days exhibition during the Dusseldorf boot Messe (boat show).

A bit earlier (in December) I've been shooting a 100' beautifull sailing yacht during sea trials when temp was below minus 2 celcius with 25 knost of wind plus our own speed, beleive me it was really cold, no not cold, freezing! no gloves allowed for shooting!
The crew on board was looking like Ninjas!

Unfortunately due to privacy, I'm not allowed to show these pics...

<he said with a frozen tear>)

Chris Purves

Winter Scenes II: Got One to share

Ok - this is more of a record shot than an artistic type photo.
Northern half of British Columbia on the way to a small mine 4 1/2 hours north west of Prince George. Had to follow the cat for 3 km to get through. More snow than usual about 2 feet more.
Not too cold so far the worst has been -30C most of the time around -15C so far. March is supposed to be our snow month.

FortSTJamesroad.jpg

Hard to take photos when all the good spots are totally covered.

Happy Winter everyone.

Cheers
Chris

Mary Bull

All the same, it pleases me immensely.

Puts me square in the middle of the reality of the winter workaday world.

Mary