• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ball or Pan tilt head

Do you prefer a pan tilt head or a ball head?

It depends on the type of photography.

A pan/tilt head allows to modify the field of view in only one dimension at a time, which may speed-up things if it suits your type of imaging (e.g. if you want to avoid introducing roll after meticulous leveling).

A (good quality) ball head allows fast adjustment of two dimensions + roll, at the same time. The ball head needs good friction control to avoid accidents or jerky movement.

I'd say that for very accurate positioning, a pan/tilt head (even a modestly priced one) has the edge. For most other uses, a heavy ball head seems the best, but expect to pay a significant price for a really good one.

Bart

Cem_Usakligil

Having worked with solely pan/tilt heads in the past, I have recently bought a very good ball head, the Manfrotto 468MGRC2. It offers hydrostatic and mechanical friction control and is very practical in use. I would not want to miss it now, very happy with it. For the rest, Bart has said all there is to say really.

Just my humble EUR 0.02 ;-)

Cheers,