• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

February Fungus

StuartRae

It's been a glorious day here, so I took my camera for a walk this afternoon.
Buried in the undergrowth, on a dead tree stump, was a bracket fungus. I took a couple of shots with the 70-300 which was on the camera, and then changed to the 60mm macro. I had to lie face down on the wet grass and try to get as close as I could, but as I'm currently nursing a bad back I could only take one shot before I had to beat a retreat.

When I got home and processed the shots I was amazed by the colour and texture of what I'd initially thought was a piece of torn paper.

Here's a 100% crop (70-300 @ 70mm)

IMG_0744-04.jpg

And here are three 100% crops from the 60mm shot.

IMG_0747-01.jpg

IMG_0747-02.jpg

IMG_0747-04.jpg

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ecologiclly, do these mushreooms/toadstools benefit spore spread by being ingested by animals?

Or else why the energy invested in the mass?

Why not remove one and photograph one in controlled setting?

Asher

StuartRae

Ecologiclly, do these mushreooms/toadstools benefit spore spread by being ingested by animals?

Asher,

AFAIK, all fungi reproduce by wind distribution of the spoors. Maybe someone more knowledgeable in botanical matters can confirm this.

Why not remove one and photograph one in controlled setting?

So I have a rotting horse chestnut stump in my lounge? :)

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Stuart,

You'll have the definite portraits of that ring texture!

I'm interested in seeing it in detail. What is the texture like.

Since it was so difficult to lie prone on the ground, (and big foot could stomp on you) I imagined the stealing of a touch of biology for your table at home might be the way to go.

Macro is difficult to take of large structures when one cannot spend time on the focus and composition.

Asher

Kyle Nagel

Hi Stuart,

These are quite amazing to look at, if you can photograph them under the right lighting and conditions you could end up with some really stunning pics.

By the way, how are things with you lately?

Kyle