• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

shore ice as the sun sets...

Marian Howell

74193358.jpg

i've been braving our version of cold and wind chill for the past week at sunset, managing to stay out in the wind and cold for 15:00 or so at prime sunset time, working on a series of ice and rocks photos, but this more abstract one caught my eye. i've printed this out at 12x18 and become very fond of it!

i'm ready now for you all to tell me if it works as an image for you as a standalone, or if the cold has frozen my judgement :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is an unusual and interestingly lit subject. I particularly like the grey blue and pink painterly hues and the structure of the ice partly melted and refrozen into frozen paving stones.

The picture stands on it's own as is and does not need to change. I like it just the way you have made it!

The whole effect, lit by low rays of sunset, is captivating and unusual. It does stand on it's own but also lend itself to doing more versions perhaps as part of an artistic design or poster with text.

Someone may want it as stock too.

Furthermore, the scene itself may have had a vast expanse of the same surface with the sunlight striking silver and gold in a streak of the water all the way to the horizon.

So are there, perhaps also wider angle versions of this view.

I imagine this was taken with an appoximately 100 mm lens, but of course, I could be way off!

I am attracted to the scene as you were and there's a lot of wonder and good feelings in it.

Asher

Marian Howell

it was the "painterly hues" that got me studying the scene in the first place!
i was remiss in not posting my shooting info.
5d
135 f/2
iso 200
1/13
f/16
uncropped
now that i've dealt with the processing in a simple pure way (and been pleased) i can explore other versions of it! must be some remnant puritan spirit in me that makes me feel compelled to do a straightforward version first before i can go wild in photoshop :)
and while i kept on the 135 (it's too cold and windy to think about changing lenses!!) i did take more shots at the time, you can be sure of that! there was a nice window of color to which i timed my outdoor shooting. this was definately more abstract than the rest of the series. (for me the abstract comes easily but i love the challenge of putting soul into the everyday.) it's part of a larger ice, rocks, and tides series i've been working on for the last 2 weeks, trying to take advantage of our cold snowless (so far...) weather.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Marian for the info and insights. So I resume you used a tripod or an IS lens?

If not you should have been a brain surgeon!

Looking forward to more of the series. I love it!

Asher

Marian Howell

i'm no brain surgeon!!!

i have a well-loved reis wooden tripod that i drag onto the shore and through the marshes with me even though it weighs 11 lbs!! love the stability and appreciate the wood in this cold weather. the canon 135 f/2L has no IS. i'll show more of the series as i put it together...right now i'm at that wonderful time where i have to take every chance i can to shoot while the weather holds cold, while processing enough to see what i've got as i go along. it's supposed to snow (or something) on wednesday so i only have a few more days to gather shots.
thanks for your comments asher :)