• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In The Midst Of A Canadian Snowstorm

Holly Cawfield

Whereupon I find myself with a day off and an opportunity to do a bit of research for my first lens purchase and lo and behold I came across a reference to this forum. How wonderfully civil, educational and helpful it all appears!

My foray into photography is quite new, although having grown up in my father's darkroom with the 'fragrance' of chemicals a warm childhood memory, it feels familiar. As the family member relied upon by others as keeper of the family photographic record, my experience until the last few months has generally been attempts to 'capture the moment' of grandparents conferring regarding the deeds of the younger all while the younger move through their various stages of precocious and shy.

About a year ago I purchased a Canon Powershot A520 as my first digital camera and began snapping at things willy nilly on the automatic modes, delightfully surprised at all those vibrant colours. I began to learn a little about the manual modes, slowed down and became a little more thoughtful regarding subjects and what it was I wanted to say or achieve. A few months ago some friends suggested it was time for a dslr and so I am now wobbling along with a Canon 400D and trying to unlock the dark and twisted secrets of PhotoShop. :)

I do believe one of the things I like best about photography is the vast scope for learning...and seeing. Much of my life experience has revolved around interior design and one of the greatest accolades I can give an instructor from many years ago is that she opened the door into the art of learning how to 'see' with the understanding it was my responsibility to learn how. And now I watch the light and see how it entirely changes the appearance of a scene or try to see the 'picture' in what is around me. I have a very great deal to learn, hope I've made a little progress and am invigorated by the challenge of it all. So if you don't mind an enthusiastic beginner tagging along, it's very nice to find this forum!!

Holly :)

Nill Toulme

Welcome Holly. Hope you're tucked in by a cozy fire. And don't forget to add in a stop or two of exposure compensation to keep that beautiful white stuff from coming out gray! ;-)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Holy,

The digicam is perfectly sufficent for great pictures. What is difficult is to have a great eye and find the light and position.

I hope you can look out of the window and take some shots. Let me know if you need help in anyway. we are very nurturing!

The big thing is to take pictures of everything that you find intrest in, but spend the time to make an image that is impressive. Take a lot of pictures and enjoy!

Asher

Holly Cawfield

Thank you for the kind welcome!

Nil, Last year I managed blue snow, early in January it was grey! I did play with the exposures and finally came up with something that looked white. :) And a toasty fire sounds like a fine way to spend the time in a winter storm. With any luck I'll be able to get out in those freezing temps today and get a few shots. Blue skies and lots of snow as I scrape the frost off the windows to see what's out there.

Thank you Asher! Oh yes, I've been taking LOTS of pictures. I've had a little more time to look around this forum and see that you are indeed very nurturing here and best of all, there is wonderfully thoughtful critique.

Hi Holly, I live in Thunder Bay and joined the site about the same time as yourself. You're lucky to have snow. We have had about six inches all winter: the slopes are down, sled sellers going bust, and wells running dry (seriously). Cheers, Mike

Jeff O'Neil

Hi Holly,

Welcome from another snow storm Canauck! I'm in the Toronto area and we didn't get the worst of it but enough to make driving less than ideal. Still lots left to shovel!

You'll like this forum.

Jeff

Holly Cawfield

Hi Mike!

Thunder Bay?!? Well then, even if you don't have the snow you've got the temps! My friend in Australia can't even conceive of what those are like! Nice to meet you. :)

Thanks for the welcome Jeff! Yes indeedy, there's plenty left to shovel and today's hour before sunset looks promising for snow photos. Take care of your back with that shoveling. :)

Anil Mungal

Hi Holly,

Just for your info, it's your blue skies that are making your snow have that blue hue. The white snow will appear to be the colour of whatever light is hitting it. Shine a red flashlight on it and it will look red. If the snow happens to be in the shade on a clear blue sky day, then it is being illuminated by the light reflecting from the sky, and thus will have a bluish hue.

Thank you for the kind welcome!

Nil, Last year I managed blue snow, early in January it was grey! I did play with the exposures and finally came up with something that looked white. :) And a toasty fire sounds like a fine way to spend the time in a winter storm. With any luck I'll be able to get out in those freezing temps today and get a few shots. Blue skies and lots of snow as I scrape the frost off the windows to see what's out there.

Thank you Asher! Oh yes, I've been taking LOTS of pictures. I've had a little more time to look around this forum and see that you are indeed very nurturing here and best of all, there is wonderfully thoughtful critique.