• Guide: Pictures are the best way of describing what is for sale. Please describe any nicks, defects, missing parts and if a lens or camera, source and serial number, if available.

The recycling of unused gear helps this community! Good luck!
  • This forum is for contributors with a track record of substantial posts on phottography. Post such as "great picture" don't count. We routinely soft-delete "for sale" posts from those who have not, as yet, really participated as described above.
  • Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

FS: Gitzo 1588 monopod; Hoya Pro1 62mm UV filter

Nill Toulme

Gitzo G1588 carbon monopod, excellent condition, $250 including Paypal and US shipping. This is the Mercedes of monopods, the one you want if you're spending a lot of time shooting a heavy rig like a 400 f/2.8. I'm only selling it because I finally figured out it's about an inch and a half too short for me.

Hoya Pro1 62mm UV filter in very nice condition, $35 including Paypal and US shipping. This is the top of the line Hoya filter, their best multi-coating, thin frame, with front threads.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Mike Collins

Gitzo G1588 carbon monopod, excellent condition, $250 including Paypal and US shipping. This is the Mercedes of monopods, the one you want if you're spending a lot of time shooting a heavy rig like a 400 f/2.8. I'm only selling it because I finally figured out it's about an inch and a half too short for me.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Nil, what monopod did you go to that was taller and could handle the 400 2.8? I have the 1588, 400 2.8, and I'm 6' 3".

Nill Toulme

Mike it was the new Gitzo 3550 which is a five-section rated for 40 pounds vs. the 1588's 26... well it might "support" 40 pounds but it's very spindly and wiggly compared to the 1588. I've since sent it back to try the new 5540 instead. But it's even shorter than the 1588. Argh. The Feisol 1471 is really probably the best overall compromise as it's tall enough and stiff enough (not quite as stiff as the 1588 but a LOT stiffer than the 3550), but compared to the Gitzos I just don't like its twistlocks. If you don't tighten them enough, it sags under the weight of the 400. If you do tighten them enough, they're hard to loosen.

I'll see how the 5540 does. Getting an extension made for it will be a PITA, but as much as I shoot this rig I think it's probably worth it.

But, bottom line, I should have stuck with the 1588. Hope that's the worst mistake I make this month. ;-)

Mind you, all this is in the context of having the weight of a 400 f/2.8 and 1-series body onboard. I think any of these pods would probably be adequate for a 300 f/2.8 or less.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Mike Collins

Thanks for the info... I have a 400 f/2.8 II and 1D Mk2. It took me a long time to get used to the Gitzo twist locks and I seem to have a handle on them now. Its funny whenever I let anyone else use this monopod though... they get it all hosed up. It takes a little getting the hang of it.