• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Santa Fe, New Mexico, shoot experience

Tony Bonanno

pro member
Hello Tony

You and the others convinced me to try SmugMug. I am paid up for another 10 months at flickr, I'll just leave and migrate anyway. Biggest pain is remembering where I have links setup that I need to move.

I see you are in Santa Fe, is there much around there to shoot early to mid March ? I am planning an Amtrak train trip with a few stopovers, starts in Clemson SC to DC to Chicago then to Southwest for a few days and return.

harvey

Hi Harvey,

Yes, there is plenty to shoot.. but that time of year can be real iffy as far as weather goes. The station that serves the Santa Fe area is Lamy, New Mexico. A really neat, historic old rail station in the middle of nowhere (Lamy is about 14 miles NE of Santa Fe city). I actually find the village of Lamy to be a pretty neat subject in itself. It can be pretty cold or it can be beautiful spring like weather. Elevation is about 7000 feet, high mountain desert, not the "warm" southwest of AZ that many folks think of when they think of the SW, so be prepared. Several miles south of Lamy is one of the early Spanish outposts, the village of Galisteo. Getting gentrified with the "celeb" crowd, but a great walk around kind of little village.

Tony

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Santa Fe

Sorry to veer off topic. But I will be up in Santa Fe next week for a Santa Fe Workshop. It will be my third time going there for a workshop.

There is so much there and in the surrounding areas to shoot that I could spend a month or more up there and not run out of subject matter. Of course the other two times I have been there have been in June and Sept. I am hoping for a spike in temperature. Being a native of Los Angeles, I don't take too kindly to temperatures in the 20's and 30's for extended periods of time.

I promised Asher I would blog a bit about it here with photos in Layback Cafe.

The station that serves the Santa Fe area is Lamy, New Mexico. A really neat, historic old rail station in the middle of nowhere (Lamy is about 14 miles NE of Santa Fe city). I actually find the village of Lamy to be a pretty neat subject in itself.

Continuing off topic -- does Lamy's train station look like the opening scene in "Once Upon a Time in the West" with desparados waiting for the train, and all that? It would definitely be worth a visit.

scott

Tony Bonanno

pro member
Continuing off topic -- does Lamy's train station look like the opening scene in "Once Upon a Time in the West" with desparados waiting for the train, and all that? It would definitely be worth a visit.

scott

Hi Scott,

The area is not as "open" as the scene you describe, more contemporary setting, but still interesting place in my opinion. From the back of the station (the side the train is on), you look across some open ranch land to a large rugged mesa.. classic Southwest stuff.. lot of pinion juniper vegetation in the area...

tony

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm looking forward to hearing from Harthy on the courses she is taking.

Kathy,

Hope you can get the station in too. Would be interesting to see if one can get shots that appear unspoiled and others which shows urbanization.

Asher