• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New Digital User in Toronto

Joanna Hughes

Hi there, I have moved from a Nikon FG (bought in 1988 and saw plenty of use!) to a Canon Rebel XT. So far I love the convenience, the speed, the savings in developing. I am wondering about getting some accessories. The camera was bought used and came with the 18-55 lens. Can you tell me if any Canon lens will work? What is the difference with EF AF etc? I have some huge icicles out my back door and I working on the perfect shot of them. Can we post photos here?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Entry, beginners, introduction to DSLR, digital, Canon, Rebel, Photography

First welcome, Joanna,

We are dedicated to fine photography. Many start here already runnig succesful Professional Studios and work with the finest cameras and still exchange ideas here! Also their are "prosumers" and enthusiasts who too want to make the finest photographs to express their feelings and ideas. Some are starting out as Professional Photographers.

These is our core groups that we aim for.

Still we really are happy to have anyone dedicated to making photographs that are very special to at least themselves and perhaps for others too.

An idea is to search before asking.

Real beginners questions better put in Introduction to Digital Photography or in Layback cafe. Then specific Camera or lens questions would go in their respective fora.

Lens choices: Any Eos lens can be used on your camera.

F stop means aperture or the circle in the lens that is opened up when you prss the shutter. That allows the light in! The amount of light entering doubles as one goes from 2.8, 4, 5.6. 8, 11, 16 and so forth.

To maintain the same exposure (ie amount of light to hit the sensor in the camera) you need a particular shutter speed. slower lets more light in. The light meter in the camera measures the amount of light needed and adjust either the shutter or aperture (f stop) so that the light entering i sufficient to get all the dark and bright areas included in your final picture.

But you knew all that, for sure. Still I have wirtten that for the next person.

EF refers to Canon's standard consumer level lens and these are excellent. Often stop down the lens a little to get hte best out of it.

L lenses are Canon's finest.

IS lens are image stabilized so that one can hand hold the camera even at lower shutter speeds and the little servo motors negate vibrations from your hand to get a clearer picture.

Best Focus point for Digial Rebel:Lenses with apertures at f2.8 or better (for example f 2.0, 1.8 or 1.4) can take advantage of the central cross hair and most accurate auto focus sensor in your particular camera.

Still you pictures will be pretty perfect with that camera.

AF, by the way is auto focus. MF is manual focus or M

A is auto

P is a program which in complicated lighting where you are having problems, that often will work best for you at this stage.

AV is where you want to define particular subjects in focus and so you set the camera either to have a limited depth of focus (say a portait at f 2.0 or f 4.0) or so that you can have everything in focus from near to the mountains at f 11. Making the aperture at f16 or 22 may in fact degrade the image so for now dont use )

Other idea, read the manual. Atl east now it will make sense!

Again welcome!

Good luck!

Asher

Posting images:

If you are not sure where they belong, send a PM to the moderator of the forum.

url between

Joanna Hughes

Thanks

I really appreciate your taking the time for a newbie. I have already found a bunch of really helpful links in your forum and will follow up!