• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Linear Output

Roland Allemand

Does anyone know if the 30D supports linear output like the 1D bodies? I'm trying to use Fred's Highlight Recovery Photoshop action and not having any success. Thanks

Ferenc Harmat

Does anyone know if the 30D supports linear output like the 1D bodies? I'm trying to use Fred's Highlight Recovery Photoshop action and not having any success. Thanks

Linear? Can we have access to your RAW file, so we can take a look at it out?

BTW: I own a 30D and 1D MarkII-N, just in case...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Roland,

Welcome to OPF and congrats on your first post!

Do you happen to have a 30D RAW file? If so open it in photoshop and then Adobe RAW will open it for you and you will see a dialog box for a Linear output.

Adjust Details Lens Curve Calibrate tabs are found below the histogram on the right of the image.

Click on the Curve tab and select the top option, Linear.

Does that help?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well, John, that's not at all proper! They should not be using a technical term and confusing people!

Asher

Roland Allemand

Asher, First of all let me say, I'm primarily a sports shooter at heart and am trying to improve my craft. Your site is loaded with such great minds with a wealth of infomation. Nill turned me on to your site last year and he was right, this is the best. Thanks for letting me participate. And yes, your answer worked on the RAW file. Thanks again, Roland Allemand

Asher Kelman

Glad it helped.

Nill did a great thing by sending you here. He has helped so much with our forum in so many ways.

Now re "linear output" itself, John Sheehy has pointed out that the linear curve of ACR, may not in fact be true gamma = 1.0 linear output. Of that, I'd love more documentation!

Asher

John_Schwaller

From this article: http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/phscs2ip_camraw3.pdf
page 10 It states that Adobe ACR (and probably Lightroom) converts and works with the raw data in "linear" mode. The 'Curves' command works with this linear data "...but present a gamma 2.2-corrected user interface.

Looking at linear data vs. corrected is "interesting. I have not done this for some time, but did play with it "way back" with Breezebrowser....which I assume can still do it.

The "linear" curve....vs. medium or strong contrast curves....are based on the gamma corrected representations.

John