• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

testing, 1. . 2. . .

chris dean

Thought I would check you folks out. I work primarily with lenticular imagery, and 3D stereoscopic photography plays a pretty big role in all that. I like an element of dark humor in my work, or topics that evoke a magic quality. Although there is not a huge photographic presence you can check out some recent work on my website www.chrisdean.com . I'm sure we will talk more later.

thanks for the great resource.

chris dean

Ray West

Hi Chris,

Welcome here. What size are the lenticular images? Is it just parts of a larger poster, or the whole thing? I've googled looking for lenticular, but it seems that most of it requires specific print houses, and it is quite expensive. I have dabbled with the red green anaglyphs in the past, hence my interest in this. However, I think that for lenticular 3d, you have to either move the image or your viewpoint, but I've not seen anything larger than 'toy' size.

Best wishes,

Ray

chris dean

Thanks Ray. The largest size I typically work with is 32x40", which creates a very nice 3D effect. At this size it is actually possible to portray a sense of depth of several feet. In fact you can "project" an image into the room nearly 18", all without the need for special glasses. The process is based on the same stereo principles you used with anaglyph imagery, except the distances between the two points is greater and there are many more images in-between.

I do all of my work in house, because of the cost of sending it out. Once you overcome the obstacles in learning the technical stuff, and ruin several hundred dollars in effups, it is really the way to go.

I am currently making a 3D lenticular camera that i will post some pictures of soon.

thanks.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Chris,

At first I thought "Lenticular" was one of those words spammers piut in an empty box to get past filtering of new registrants. We do check everyone!

Well as I was project lenticular into cyber nothingness, I recalled the 3D effects and we saved our new member who we'll value and learn from!

This is fascinating stuff with novel creative potential.

Where are you located, BTW, who knows, I'd like to visit and I may end up in the vicinity one day!

You are very welcome here and we look forward to sharing experience and learning from you in the process!

Asher

Ray West

Hi Chris,

I guess at the larger size, you move your head, as you would if 'looking at the real thing', the many images coming into play one by one as you move an inch or so. I guess its only movement in one direction.

If its not too much trouble, not giving away too many trade secrets, would you be prepared to post how you do this? I can see it being fun laminating - if that is what you do - the plastic lens to the print to get accurate registration. Where do you get the lens material, etc?

I'm not sure where the best place to post would be, I guess it would be under 'photography as art' http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Best wishes,

Ray

chris dean

Asher,
I am in the US, in the Detroit area. Love to see you if you make it out here. And I have posted a new topic in the photography as art section with regard to this discussion. Thanks.