• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon EOS 1ds and Speedlite 580EX

Kilian Munch

I need some help with this. I have Canon EOS 1ds, and recently purcased the 580EX. I am trying to make the 2nd curtain sync to work, but it won't. I have tried every mode on the camera (M, Tv, Av, bulb), I have gone to Custom functions 15 and selected 2nd curtain sync, and I believe I have tried all of the possible settings on the flash. When I press the >>> button on the flash, it selects high speed sync, and with the next click it goes back to being deselected.
I have made a search on the internett, and found that my camera should be able to handle this. Am I wrong, or am I doing something wrong?
Help is greatly appreciated.
Kilian Munch

Kilian Munch

Thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately I have allready tried that. I've just spent an hour on the phone with Canon and they couldn't help me either. They suspect there might be something wrong with the flash-unit, and I have to send it in for repair...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Worries me! Was this bought immediately it came out? Did it ever work right?

Also anyone else with a 580EX with a moment to try this?

Asher

Kilian Munch

It was bought about a week ago. It is my first experience with that kind of flash, so I went through the manual from page one. When I hit page 26 and 2nd curtain sync, it didn't work. To answer your question, no it never worked. I'm kind of bummed out about the fact that I might have to send a flash i've never used in for repair.
Kilian

Asher Kelman

I'm about to buy one.

I have 3 550 EX speedlights and I have always disliked the controls. I love the idea of a menu wheel. Makes more sense.

There should be memory buttons to switch settings on the fly!

Asher

MArk Le

on a 5D if you set the camera at 2nd curtain the 580 doesn't listen. But it should work if set on the flash. This behavior was reported -to me- by a colleague (with a 5D and 580). The 1Ds do sync to the 2nd curtain with both in-camera and in-flash setting with a metz 54.

Asher Kelman

on a 5D if you set the camera at 2nd curtain the 580 doesn't listen. But it should work if set on the flash. This behavior was reported -to me- by a colleague (with a 5D and 580).
Could you check that for us if you set it on the flash it actually works! :)

The 1Ds do sync to the 2nd curtain with both in-camera and in-flash setting with a metz 54.

What about the 1DII or 1DII N?

Asher

MArk Le

Asher,
yeah I know for a fact that it works (on 5D with the 580 set on rear) because we did an entire session shooting at 1 sec 2nd curtain togheter :)

I can't check my metz with a 1DII/n because it needs a different SCA (m3 while I use the m1 on 1D and 1Ds both mark I).. sorry