• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge: Something wooden and made with skill!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Not often do we see the work of craftsman. Most of what we have or use are mass produced.

Is there something you have that merits photographing in an impressive way.

How about this

_I6E0186curveorignal.jpg

This is the first in a series.

Asher

Last edited:
This is the first in a series.

Asher, the image is not showing in my IE7 setup (possibly due to the copyright character in the file name?). When you replace the copyright character in the URL by %A9 then IE7 does load it.

Bart

I corrected the title as you suggested!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Henkel

Birch, I think....

Tom,

This is so beautiful! What wood is it and who made it?

Asher

....but I don't claim to be an expert on identifying samples of wood. It's definitely a lighter wood. As for it's maker, I don't have a clue. It's an antique piece. But someone hand turned it on a woodworking lathe.

Also, I should have indicated it in my original post, the shot was done with a 1DMkII and a 100mm f/2.8 Macro.

Tom

Great idea for a thread. This shot is of my bandmate's harp. Hand made by a fellow named Larry Fischer (sp)

It looks beautiful and sounds unbelievable.

IMGP3081.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Steve,

The instrument is really special since it actually has to function as well!

I'll have to see what more I can do then!

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
Hello Asher

Here are the violin shots you asked about. The violins and other instruments I photographed were from a local college, they were all old, scratched, dented, brass ones were corroded and missing mouth pieces!! I had to try and create something bright and modern using orange or blue as background colours (the corporate colours of the organisation I was doing these for) it proved to be quite a challenge under the circumstances! Anyway these are some of the results. I had to posterise a lot of them as a way of disguising the distressed condition of some of the instruments, but it seemed to fit in with the request for colourful, striking images. More can be seen on my website.

Jan

violin4.jpg

IMG_0018c.jpg