• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

50mm Shootout

There is an article here that compares 6 or so 50mm lenses from various manufacturers (Nikon, Canon, etc.).

After reviewing this article, I can say that the Pentax 50mm f/1.4 lens is TOPS. I can say this because:
  1. I own one.
  2. It is NOT reviewed in this article!
  3. It IS reviewed in a TOPS =D post over at Mike Johnston's blog.
Sometimes its frustrating being a Pentax owner!

Anyway, for all you Nikon and Canon owners, enjoy the article...

Ray West

Hi Pawal,

I don't think there are any images. I suspect, that any of the lenses can give results very similar to each other, after applying corrections in editing for ca, distortion, etc. If you have a canon camera and $70.00, the answer is pretty easy ;-). If you want macro and Sigma, etc.. Not really that much choice.

Best wishes,

Ray

Erik DeBill

Hi Pawal,

I don't think there are any images. I suspect, that any of the lenses can give results very similar to each other, after applying corrections in editing for ca, distortion, etc. If you have a canon camera and $70.00, the answer is pretty easy ;-). If you want macro and Sigma, etc.. Not really that much choice.

Best wishes,

Ray

Canon also makes a 50mm f2.5 macro (only goes to 1:2, not 1:1). Not reviewed, but Photodo used to rate it as sharper than the 50/1.8.

Personally, I'm really really happy with my Canon 50mm f1.8 II. I've got my wish list improvements, but optically it's everything I could want, barring extreme fantasy.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Don't know about the review but having owned both of Canon's 50mm lenses (not the L) I can say that both are utterly horrible wide open. I had been using them as available light short tele on a 20D but am now far far happier with an 85mm wide open on my 5D.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Canon also makes a 50mm f2.5 macro (only goes to 1:2, not 1:1). Not reviewed, but Photodo used to rate it as sharper than the 50/1.8.

Personally, I'm really really happy with my Canon 50mm f1.8 II. I've got my wish list improvements, but optically it's everything I could want, barring extreme fantasy.

got the 50 mm macro, thats a pretty darn sharp lens, on FF, too

Kim Fullbrook

In my view the mechanical construction of the 50/1.4 and 50/1.8 Mk II is a disgrace to Canon and a blot on their otherwise good reputation. With both lenses, especially the 1.4 the lens barrels flop around all over the place, both side to side and in & out. I've examined several examples and they are all the same. I even had my 1.4 repaired with new guides and it was just as bad. Optically they may be reasonable but if the barrel doesn't hold still you will end up with fuzzy pictures in some circumstances. It's not always feasible to focus and press the shutter an instant later. I gave up on my 1.4 for general use and use a 1.8 Mk I which has excellent robust construction, just like the 35/2. The flare control of the 1.8 isn't great though.

I'm hoping that Zeiss will eventually bring out their 50/1.4 in EF fitting. Or my other hope is that Canon will see their error and re-introduce the lens in new mechanicals (maybe with new glass as well) as a 50/1.4L even with a price increase. As camera sensors add megapixels the need for decent glass increases and Canon's current 50mm 1.8 and 1.4 are not up to the job.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
What about the 50 2.5?

I have the 50 2.5 macro lens - what a joy that lens is to me! Slow to focus, but the images are razor sharp. Did not like the results on the 1.6 crop, so it's why I originally bought the 5D. I have the 50 1.2 that I am learning - a still different result with it's bokeh.

Why is it I rarely hear much about the 50 2.5?

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
$239 us...

That 50 .25 is about $239.00 us - not an L Lens. Mine is about 6 years old and I still see it for sale at that price - new. Not like the 50 1.2 - $1600. for that one.

Michael Fontana

pro member
ouccch, I remind having paid much more here, a while ago.

A quick internet research - the cheap online-dealers only, maybe not even be able to deliver for ?? - have it from 340 $ - to 440 $...

Anyway, anyhow: Canon, Nikon, Adobe, etc must think, that we' re just swimming in money, over here.
BTW, would be a good topic for a thread ;-)

Last edited: