• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Howdy from Houston, Texas

Well I have been "lurking" around here for a while and I debated whether or not to even join. I admit that I have seen so many wonderfully beautiful examples of so many great photographer's work, that I was almost intimidated enough to just stay in the dark corners of the forum forever and just watch. Almost but I guess not quite because here I am. My desire to learn and grow and find as many ways that I can to improve my photographic skills and artistic, creative expression made it impossible for me to stay away.

I'm new to the DSLR world and from what I read and observe here and other places, I have definitely started about as close to the bottom as you can. I just bought my Nikon D40 two months ago. I have the standard 18-55mm kit lens that came with it, the 70-300mm AF-S VR lens, and an SB-600 speedlight. That's it. So I'm way behind in equipment comparatively but that's ok. I am steadily improving, I think, and am getting more and more results with this equipment that makes me happy. What more could I ask for?

So for now, I am very glad I found this forum and plan on spending a lot of time still moving around in the shadows, trying to absorb as much knowledge and wisdom and know-how as I can. I'll be the good student and keep my mouth shut and my eyes open most of the time. I don't know what I would have to offer up right now anyway other than questions but I will do my best to try and take part when I can and if I get to feeling really brave, I may even post up an image or two for your consideration and constructive criticism. Thanks in advance for having me.
James

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi James,

Welcome to OPF.

First let me assure you that your camera is perfect for most any photography. Just stop down the lens a little and it will take a physicist to measure the differences between your images and those from a more expensive DSLR unless you print larger than 11x14 or so.

So don't feel in any way handicapped!

Don't fall for the delusion a lot of enthusiastic photographers get trapped in that they must have better equipment to make great pictures. The differences are mostly those needed to make perfectly orthogonal and rectilinear detail rich images for architecture or particularly rich colors for fashion, but even these requirements can be met by your camera with care and corrections.

Feel free to email me pictures privately if you are uncertain and reluctant to go public. Send me the images at editor.opfATmac.com. I'll try to give you pointers and you'll be on the fast track to comfort with your own work!

Anyway, we have an entry level digital forum, so you don't have to be shy about getting help. Just selcet images that have some emotional or special as opposed to snapshots which might be valid for a family album.

Anyway, a large welcome and we're looking forward to sharing pictures with you!

You don't have to have a masterpiece to post! You just need to want that general direction so you can improve. You'll find a lot of others on the same busy road!

Good luck on your Nikon D40 DSLR!

Asher