• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Polaroid 8x10" lightbrushed

Klaus Esser

pro member
sonnenbl1024.JPG

i like those Polas - more than digital . . :)

best, Klaus

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Klaus,

So what did it look like to start with?

How did you scan it and what will you print it at.

Looks like you could go to 24"x30". Is that your plan?

I'm wondering what the max scan resolution of worthwhile. I have considered just 600 dpi is all that there is in detail but what do you find the reality is?

Anyway, the picture id great.

Do you have a link to the series or is this isolated?

Asher

Klaus Esser

pro member
Hi Klaus,

So what did it look like to start with?

How did you scan it and what will you print it at.

Looks like you could go to 24"x30". Is that your plan?

I'm wondering what the max scan resolution of worthwhile. I have considered just 600 dpi is all that there is in detail but what do you find the reality is?

Anyway, the picture id great.

Do you have a link to the series or is this isolated?

Asher

Hi Asher!

You start with an almost complete dark studio. Wearing dark gloves you hold a tiny lamp with a narrow lightbeam and "paint" the light over the object. Camera-shutter remains open while painting the light - due to the strokes the camera realizes only the light which lit up the momentary point. But that continuously. This way no hard shadows appear as it would using a narrow spot - the light moves all the time. Almost like an airbrush.

I used an 8x10" Polaroid because this way of photography every shot is unique - you never will be able to do two identical lightings. So instant control, is essential.
And 8x10" simply is the most beautyful Polaroid i know . . . :)

I scanned it on a Linotype-Hell/Heidelberg flatbed scanner Saphir UltraII at 1200dpi. It was a range of shots - the others i will show also, if you like.

Lightbrush is a very, very fine way to work on a very basic level. It´s really a kind of craftmanship - and you´ll never know what happens to show up. It´s like carving and modelling structures and colours out of the darkness - a bit pathetic, i know, but that´s what i feel doing it :)

Here´s another one:
Blumen1024.jpg

best, Klaus

P.S.: i forgot - it´s shot on Kodak EPP 8x10" with a Linhof and 300mm Symmar. Light was a big lightbox (Balcar strobe) from above at minus 1f and soft-filter on the lens, then lightpainted with a SureFire lamp with a half-daylight filter from Rosco attached - without the soft-filter on the lens.
So the basic exposure is softened and the paint-exposure is sharp.
Exposure time was about 2 minutes for painting after the basic exposure with the strobe-box.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
David shows us the Eskimo!

I hope you will give us a daily dose of your film work and panos too.

Delighted that you share.

You use not only light, but shading too and that is the key to lighting.

Asher

Klaus Esser

pro member
David shows us the Eskimo!

I hope you will give us a daily dose of your film work and panos too.

Delighted that you share.

You use not only light, but shading too and that is the key to lighting.

Asher

Hi Asher!

Yes - i´m a shadow-fanatic . . :) . The changing of lights and shadows, the deepness and contours of a shadow is what i like doing lightbrushing. It´s NEVER twice the same. So it´s - in my eyes - a piece of art. A unique piece.
Of course one can do a similar look by using some tiny spots - but the difference lies in the type of shadows: they are hard. By brushing they are soft and more natural.
Therefore i use mainly polaroids - but i´m testing digital in that direction.
When i started digital-photography back in 1996, the longest time to have the shutter opened was about 1 or 2 seconds, because then the noise came up.
Nowadays it´s about some minutes to have the shutter open and that´s time enough to brush arround. The other way is too make a basic exposure and some more with partial lightbrushing and combine them at last in Photoshop.

best, Klaus

P.S.: i recommand everyone who´s interested in lightpainting/-brushing to look after examples of Aaron Jone´s photography. He invented the Hosemaster-System for lightbrushing.

http://www.repertoireart.com/news_views/photo_legends/photo_legends.htm
http://www.repertoireart.com/news_views/photo_legends/jones.htm