• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Greetings from Ireland

Greetings,

my name is Georg "laughing bear" Baumann. I was born 1961 in cologne/germany, and I live since 8 years in Ireland. I am located on the NW-atlantic cost in county Donegal.

Alain Briot invited me here, thanks Alain!

I am educated in music as a concert pianist and in chemistry as an engineer. I worked as a government/business consultant and I retired from that line of business in 2001.

I live with my partner Karen in one the most beautiful areas of Ireland. In 2003 we sold our little house close to Dublin and decided to get out of that place, packed out bags, moved here not knowing what will be and rented a small house. But within 3 month we found a house on 5 acres on the beach, a fixer upper that takes a lot of work but has excellent potential. We will sell this property and build our own house/studio on the remaining land.

Karen is a professional personal care assistant, she works with elderly people and I admire her greatly for that.

Late I found my love for the art of photography. When we moved here I was pondering what else I can do apart from being "Bear the Builder".

It is a solitude and remote life here. While we were exploring our new surrounding, we both were and are stunned by it's wild beauty. The irish highlands are a typical postglacial landscape. From the highest sea cliffs in europe, to remote glens, to fields scattered with granit bolders, to golden beaches, it is all here.

I decided to pick up a point a shoot, a Konica Minolta Z5, Karen's daughter Rachel inherited it by now, and started to take pictures for the fun of it. Soon I was bored by the quality and the limitations and looked for something more and it was during that process of finding a camera that I thought it would be nice to be able to share this and may be run a small business one day.

During that time I stumbled across the website from Alain Briot and I was fascinated by his style and approach and I thought by myself, yeah this is a good idea and considered to become a landscape photographer. So in a sense Alain triggered that idea. Thanks Alain! <smiles>

I purchased a Olympus E-1 with 2 lenses and some assessories and ever since I am on a most fascinating journey. I had some problems with Olympus and a defect system which caused me to be 6 month without a camera, but well, it is sorted now.

So you are allowed to call me rookie by all means. <smiles> However, I do take this very serious, and I devoted myself 100% to become a successful landscape photographer in search of excellence.

It is my goal to share this beauty with the intention to trigger a sense of urgency to protect this beautiful land, the lifestyle and last not least the wildlife here.

Please fell free to comment on my work any time, your comments are much valued in deed! Here are a few pictures from my home.

Travenagh Bay, where I live is close to the golf stream and this causes the approaching spectecular weather fronts at times. This picture was taken approx. 20 minutes before sunset, 12 degrees celsius, when suddenly the wind changed to -N- and within seconds sleet and hail came down. The sun was to the left and 4/5 hidden behind a thick bank of clouds, so the approaching weatherfront enabled the split colors by acting like a prism. It was a handheld shot as I had not time to setup my tripod, it all came down too quick.

jpeg_cmpr_Travenaghweb.jpg

The river Gweebara, rich in history I might add, meets the atlantic behind the bridge, and it is not too long ago that an abundance of salmon and trout inhabited this river. Unfortunately, this is the past, and rigerous efforts had to be taken to protect fish, it is doubtful whether this abundance will ever come back.

The erosion caused by the river and the tidal forces leaves very interesting sculptures in the stone by the river banks.

jpeg_cmpr_gweebara_panweb.jpg

Dooey beach wich is minutes away from our door attracts surfers during the summer month, seals breed on islands in this bay.

jpeg_cpmr_B224806.jpg

I shall not leave you without a tribute to my most important partner in photography, "Tanka", he joins me everywhere I go. Thank you for this forum Asher, it is an honor to be here in deed!

jpeg_cmpr_2176820web560.jpg

David J. Eves

WowoW ! Most Impressive > 5 STARS !!

Gosh those photos leave me breathless! The color is spectacular.

Young man. you will have no problem being successful in your new photo-essay type journey.

Composition is A+, .. .. .. depth of field is perfect !!

you may think / call yourself a rookie, but your eyes are very well trained !

GORGEOUS !!

You will have no problem selling your images once you learn how!

Photographer's market Book > updated and printed every year. Get one !

BELIEVE IT OR NOT.. .. .. you will find out that huge corporations such as: Adobe, Corel, Hallmark, etc. pay freelancers just as yourself BIG BUCKS, once you know and learn how to submit according to their guidelines with delivery memo's etc.

GREAT JOB, I feel like the "rookie" after seeing those spectacular images !!

only thing is I am not laughing, now I want to go out and shoot, but there is only "WHITE".. (CHUCKLE) wink!
So glad I could make you 'LAUGH"!

<scratching head>

Now I know that native americans can have a wicked humor at times, and I know you live there since a long time <grins>....

Seriously, I read your reply 3 times now and I am totally confused whether you are taking the mickey or not. This happened to me often before when I lived with Lakota and Cherokee, it took me quite sometime to understand their humor. I also managed to make them laugh often I might add. I know what you mean! - Hehehe! - What I used to consider "knowledge" they considered ballast, if you get my drift.

Anyhow, here a few more attempts on Gweebara River and the beach surroundings:

Matt.jpg

I bought myself a 3.0 Neutral density Filter, and boy what the Heck was that? I barely could see anything in the viewfinder and nearly squeezed my eyeball into it. <grins> But I was surprised how accurately the scene translated the misty pastell like colors on that day. I think the lense was open for 30 seconds.

jpeg_cmpr_Gweebara_02web.jpg

In 2001 the golden eagle was successfully reintroduced nearby, in the Glenveagh national park, they started breeding last year. These birds are spectecular and once you get close, it is a very humbling experience, my english ain't good enough to descripe in epic terms how they make one feel. They are majestic and graceous beings in deed. The eye you see here is not injured, they have a protective lid they can pull over their eyeball which protects the eyes during the great attack speed they can come up with.

jpeg_cmprBob2web.jpg

My other passion is music as you might have guessed, and I have a little bit of equipment available that I use to compose my own stuff, I plan to release a catalog of my work once I have enough material together and may be create slideshow intro, kinda "best of Bear" with my own music.

I compose and record all kind of genres, from classical to experimental. Here are download links, if you like the idea and/or music I can post more over time, happy to share it:

CAVE HARPS
http://www.mediafire.com/?dnmkmjnwdym

FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX
http://www.mediafire.com/?9zuyjgwzmmm

Klaus Esser

pro member
Hello Bear!

VERY fine pictures - i like them very much. And your dog is a great guy!!
Your way of viewing is very intense and - i would hav said it even without the information of you beeing a musician - reminds me of some chords, some harmonics which start to ring inside looking at some of your pictures.

best, Klaus

Hi Klaus,

that is an interesting remark in deed!.... Now here is food for thought for me.... hehehe

My ex is a Prof. for Art teaching in PA, we seperated years ago, for many reasons.... She said I woud be too intense, here is that word again<grins>, for her.... and well, matter of fact she did not like A. Scriabin or Frank Zappa, and worse... she did not care for her child or dog.... rather decided to train marathons day in day out....

What the Hell! <grins>

Thanks Klaus!

Klaus Esser

pro member
"matter of fact she did not like A. Scriabin or Frank Zappa"
this is mad . . ;-)

"and worse... she did not care for her child or dog"
and that´s unforgivably.

Good idea to go to Ireland . . . :)

btw.: the link to your composings didn´t work this evening - i´ll try agail later.

best, Klaus

I should mention, I am not doing this professionally, it is just for fun, all the downloads are life-improvisations on my synths. The way I work is that I choose and layer some sounds, press record and play. Hence it is not a polished thing at all, rather ideas, a scratchpad for later in life so to speak, when I may have the time and desire to do it more professionally.

STRINGS
http://www.mediafire.com/?1ydmzzmwlmw

LITTLE MELODIE
http://www.mediafire.com/?fzzoigzzz3a

EMILIA ERHARD's DREAM
http://www.mediafire.com/?5ewjjtgz4jz

The next one I made recently, and it was triggered after I watched Kubrik's 2001 Space Odysee, it was 10 years ago in deed that I saw it the last time.... I tried to capture the "mythical momentum" of the Monolith with the same aspects of the original music, using G. Ligeti's choir harmonics in my way.... NOT for the faint hearted. ;o)

THE MONOLITH RETURNS
http://www.mediafire.com/?70hndvvnmoq

....and here is a short version where I revisited the Intro...., I still have to bring the both together, it is the same 2:15 minutes as in the long version with some added aspects for drama. I think I was a filmcomposer in another life... ;o) just kidding!

MONOLITH Intro 01_02
http://www.mediafire.com/?7njm0mtwz0n

and a last one for now..... nuff of my stuff ;o)
PEACE JAM
http://www.mediafire.com/?6gnz1d0wnjg

Last edited:

janet Smith

pro member
Hello and welcome Georg

Your photographs of Ireland are absolutely wonderful. I am very interested to see how similar it is to the NW highlands of Scotland. You were really lucky to get such beautiful light. Like you I love landscape photography and will be relocating to the Highlands in the next few years. I am in the process of developing my own website which has images of Scotland, Flowers, musical instruments and some food if you would like to look at what I've done so far this is the address www.jansmithphotography.co.uk please bear in mind that I am still working on it, I would appreciate your comments. Regards Jan

Hi Asher,

I had "bitches brew" on my mind for a few days when I improvised that snippet. An old Miles Davis recording from 1970. His music is like Dali Landscapes to me at times.

I really need to make that a project, kinda permanent thing to work on, shoot a landscape, improvise music towards it, file it, and once I have enough that I like, produces a slidehow.

Hi Jan,

Thank you Jan.

Ahem well, first let me say that I am not qualified to give advise in terms of photography business at all. I have not sold a single picture in my life. Not a sausage! <grins>

However, I would like to say though that it appears as if this site is a pre configured package, could that be? I think clicpic offers such packages if memory serves, and I would think it is best to more personalize your offer to the market.

I think that it might be best practise to let established professionals come up with design and solutions of a business related website. Apart from design and layout, they have ways to list your site in the relevant search engines quicker than you possibly could achieve it.

At the end of the day, one needs to understand a webpresence as a business card, hence it should represent you and your service/product. I intend to think that if we do that ourselves, we might be trapped making wrong decisions if you get my drift.

As far as Scotland, I have not made it up there yet, but a trip is on my list as I wish to learn the art of matting and framing, and try to make a crash course on that subject in Edinburgh at some stage.

Sorry that I can not be of more detailed help, but I would strongly recommend you to ask this question in another section of the forum where it will get more exposure hence more and way better input!

Have a look: http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Klaus Esser

pro member
Hi Asher,

I had "bitches brew" on my mind for a few days when I improvised that snippet. An old Miles Davis recording from 1970. His music is like Dali Landscapes to me at times.

I really need to make that a project, kinda permanent thing to work on, shoot a landscape, improvise music towards it, file it, and once I have enough that I like, produces a slidehow.

Funny! I´m just hearing Mile´s "Kind of Blue" as i read your lines . . :)

Klaus Esser

pro member
Bear, I listened to the first of your music Cool Smoke, and I felt like it went with a landscape.

Asher

That´s what i had in mind spontanously . . a soft, slow and long ride of the camera over the landscape, flying deep over the water where clouds are mirroing and you seem to smell the sand of the river´s banks . . .
It´s a "Music for Films", - excuse me, Brian (Eno) . . ;-)

best, Klaus

You guys are funny... you know, since I am thinking about photography, it sure has to do with my past, but somehow I can not think of photography isolated from music at all. It is like a curse. Hehehe.

Hence I feel the need to create that slidehosw of pictures and compose my music towards it. I feel this gives me another dimension to express why I chose to photograph this particular set of landscapes without using any words for the benefit of a closer artistic description.

Currently I think that this should become my online portfolio, and since this is somewhat closer integrated in CS3, even more comfortable to achieve I guess. The longer I think about this the more I find it a natural addition to a slideshow.

I tried to give you a good crossection of the stuff that I do with the variety of downloads, and somehow all the time when I do those improvisations, it follows the same concept.... I have a picture on my mind.... and then record.