• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Something different

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ron,

This is a great subject. I like the angle since it makes the tree important.

It's a pity that the sky was reluctant to contribute much to your day! Since the sky is not interesting but the treel ine in the b.g. is, maybe you have images in which the latter has more attention.

The issue I am more concerned with is the shortage of snow real estate in the foreground before we reach the tree. In portraits getting close is great.

Here, the tree belongs it's world, but we have jumped up on it without introduction. We need, in my opinion, a carpet of snow before the tree. Then the tree can be a star.

Do you have a version that is not as cropped or is this the only one?

Thanks for sharing,

Asher

Ron Morse

That was the only shot of that tree and it was not cropped.
This is the only one like it and it is a big crop. I'm afraid it isn't much. I suspect the grass in the foreground is distracting. I have got a lot of ideas in the last couple of days. A big storm is coming in for the next day or two but when it is over I'm going to try the new ideas.
Thanks for the patience.

Ray West

Hi Ron,

I rotated the last image about 2.5 degrees anti-clockwise, and cropped off the bottom bit of the water, leaving the foreground clump of grass. Don't know if it is better though.

I think the first one, if you put a fine border line round it, say 1/8th inch away on sides and top, but kept the bottom border, say half inch or so below the bottom of the image, and blurred the snow into the white, it may work out.

Best wishes,

Ray

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
That was the only shot of that tree and it was not cropped.
This is the only one like it and it is a big crop. I'm afraid it isn't much. I suspect the grass in the foreground is distracting. I have got a lot of ideas in the last couple of days. A big storm is coming in for the next day or two but when it is over I'm going to try the new ideas.
Thanks for the patience.

Well, this is better.

When one has something that overlaps the sky, unless it's working for you, you don't want to photograph a blank sky. Of course, a blank sky might be perfect for some compositions. Here it seems problematic.

The tree is long. However there's a lot of horizontal arguments between shapes going on in the lower part of the picture. So I wondered whether that might be interesting.

mg6087ox4AKcrop.jpg

© 2007 Ron Morse Edited by Asher Kelman for editorial comment

I did seek bring out some of the dimensionality with a minimal S curve and then sharpened carefully.

Now you have an image that has a background, a mid section with reflections in the water and the appearance of the edge of a lazy stream and in the foreground grass surrounded by the remnants of snow some time ago.

By removing the top of the picture, which has asked my eye for more to the right to balance the picture, we are left with an image which is perhaps more complete.

We now see the island of the snow coming from the left border in the middle of the image counterbalancing the section of snow coming from the lower right border. We see the bold lines of the trunks above the water line just to the left of the midline, being counterbalanced by the clean dark reflections in the water in the lower 1/3 of the image on the left.

In the foreground is the bunch of grass as the anchor from which the dimensions of everything else is calibrated.

There are many trees in the background that we can see all the way to the sky. So the trees in the left side of the pictures are just completed mentally.

With the current crop, there is no tension looking for the rest of the picture where balance might be needed. Now, this picture is not yet any work of art, however, it's interesting and would make a very nice print that you could be proud of.

Asher