• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

So, ... what is "high-key" to you?

Michael Brown

Someone asked me some questions the other day, which got me to getting online to do some reading.
So, ... what is "high-key" to you?
I have always thought it to be a image that is bright, something light, with very little shadow areas, hints of details maybe.
You seem to have varying opinions on this when going online to read other's explanations & definitions.

So again, ... what is "high-key" to you?
And, ... is a high-key image considered to be a image that is basically washed in "white"?
Can a high-key image have that washed/bright type of feel to it in any other color?
I looked that one up, and did not find a answer.

Anyway, here is a image below that I consider to be "high-key".
There are a couple more links to images that I would consider to be high-key.
All images have basically that bright "white" area/feel in the image.

4600833-lg.jpg

Here are a few more.
"Peace Lily - Abstract"
"Cyclamen"
"Plum Bloom"
"Daffodil"

Any thoughts, ideas, samples would be appreciated.
Thanks guys!

To me high key images are predominantly light in tone, they don't have to be white but they must be light. Your picture is a great example of high key. The colors are light and delicate without looking washed out.