• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Epson 3800 printer settings revert/ change paper size

Eric Chan has pointed out an irksome issue in a thread on LL :

"One thing that happens under Windows with the Epson 3800 driver is that if you are printing from Photoshop, and you go to Page Setup and choose a different size, or you change from Portrait to Landscape orientation, the driver always go back to Premium Luster as the media type (by default). Maybe this happens with other Epson drivers, too (i.e., for other printers)?"

I've also encountered this (to me) bothersome problem, but on the Mac OS, although this issue did not arise using the R2400 driver (printing out of PS). For the same media type, this necessitates establishing settings on the printer driver for each paper size and can eventuate in a huge list of saved settings. Is there a ready work around to deal with this issue?

I should have been more explicit by stating :

If anyone knows of a workaround that permits paper size adjustments out of PS without having to reconfigure the printer driver, this advice would be most welcome.

Don Lashier

This PS/Epson driver settings stupidity was the straw that ultimately led me to switch to Imageprint for printing. I don't know if the fault is Photoshop or Epson, but it's just plain stupid and has been for years.

- DL

Hello Don,

A recommendation coming from you is one that I would certainly give very serious consideration, despite the costs of IP that would tend to make me balk. All the more so since yesterday evening I found to my astonishment that this reversion behavior does not occur consistently, arising with some changes in paper size and not in others. (I had an A4 test print and then ran it in A2 (actually 17x22) and my Premium Luster settings still remained in the Epson driver - but I had to check). Thanks for your suggestion.

Hello Don,

A recommendation coming from you is one that I would certainly give very serious consideration, despite the costs of IP that would tend to make me balk.

If price is an issue, have you tried Qimage? It remembers all driver settings used last time, for each given type of paper.

Besides its workflow efficiency, the print quality is reported by many to be better than from PS (unless you spend considerable time to tweak your settings/resizing/sharpening/profiles for each output size), and the price (includes lifetime free upgrades) is almost a laugh for what you get back in timesavings.

Qimage can also produce quality printfiles for off-line printing, which I have used to print upto 39 inch wide output from my 1DsMk2 on an inkjet. The interpolation algorithms strike a very good balance between speed and quality.

Bart

Greg Lockrey

Using Windows, I don't know if the other platforms works this way, you can go to Start/Printers & Faxes/click on the printer of choice and set your paper and ink preferences as a default.