• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Solitude

Geeze, I am up since 3:30am.... and what do I do? Sitting here and trying to find a way into digital assett management.... sigh....

Anyhow, while doing that I came across my very first picture that I made on the day I took delivery of my Zuiko Digital 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 lense and 1.4 TC. So I was tempted to max out and because the olympus E1 has a crop factor of 2x, the combination of lense and TC adds up to an impressive 560mm in a very handy package, I think I chose f16 or even f22 if memory servesand the RAW conversion, well I like to think could do that better these days, but I left it in the original version.

I did not look at this picture since 2 years, and now after I virtually framed it, I am happy I did not delete it.

Mount Errigal is in the distance, the handbuild drystone wall is approximately 200 years old, the cottage I could not tell. It is the view from my house to the back.

I know, it is probably against all photographic rules, I am allowed, I am the newbie!<grins>

I kinda like it.

solitude.jpg

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Hey Georg,

yea you probably broke all the rules alright....but there is something about the image I can't put my finger on. I like it.......nice vision.

Cheers,

Paul

Klaus said somewhere to me I have an intense way of seeing, I think he is right.

I thought about this, and I am pondering as to how I really see.... The only thing I can come up with is that I always try to be in an empty state of mind when I shoot. I have somewhat the ability to do that on the spot, it is like flicking a switch in me, and then I hear, smell, feel, well, in generell perceive my surrounding more intense. I do not concentrate on anything particular, I just try to feel the scene....

Geeze I better should shut up .... You probably think I am a whackjob by now. Hehehehe....

Whew! The intensity of the contrasts in this picture blows me away. The rough quality of the foreground rock, the enormity of the mountain background, and the fragility of that little house in the middle ground. And it's bright colors. A very stunning picture. Thanks for sharing

The rough quality of the foreground rock, the enormity of the mountain background, and the fragility of that little house in the middle ground.

Awwww <smiles> You describe it exactly as I saw it!

A rough, enormous, fragile solitude. Best description for county Donegal in early February in deed.

Thanks very much Charles!

I remember another thing now, I was also new to NIK sharpener Pro and goofing around with it when I decided to only sharpen the mountain and the cottage.

Ray West

Hi Georg,

I think its the colour, plus the simplicity of the subject, combined with detail. For me, it works far better if I crop off the bottom of the picture, so the house is about the same distance from the bottom as from the lhs, the lines in the stone wall then lead directly to it. There is a bit of over sharpening halo on the mountain/sky interface. I think I may have experimented with gradually increasing the sharpening of the wall towards the lhs. Probably one of those things you play around with, then decide the first version was the best ;-)

Best wishes,

Ray

Awwww <smiles> You describe it exactly as I saw it!

A rough, enormous, fragile solitude. Best description for county Donegal in early February in deed.

Thanks very much Charles!

I remember another thing now, I was also new to NIK sharpener Pro and goofing around with it when I decided to only sharpen the mountain and the cottage.

Asher's "arc of intent" is complete. I received your message as you intended it.

I wish my pictures could be so successful. But it requires simplicity and elegance to accomplish that.