• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Rob Galbraith 1D Mark III First Look

MArk Le

impressive

thanks for the link!

this is the first time I see full resolution pictures from the III and it is indeed impressive. Stunning resolution on the group shots.

Well.. we're going to see better pictures on the newspapers LOL

Daniel Harrison

pro member
well it doesn't exist, I am going to pretend that it doesn't anyway :) the latest model in my mind is the 1DII which I own, so there is no 1DIII

i want one :(

Nill Toulme

One or two, that's the question now, isn't it. I need two bodies and had been thinking a Mark III and a nice used 1Ds Mark II to replace my two 1DMkII's. But the combination of the difference in controls and the level of detail Rob was getting out of the Mark III files makes me wonder whether two Mark III's doesn't make more sense...

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

John_Nevill

Just read RG's review, most impressive!

High ISO samples looked interesting (especially the pushed 6400) as did the noticeable difference in focus aquisition. Similarly, they praised the improvements colour graduation.

I still don't see it as a quantum leap over the 1DmkIN, but thats probably financial more than anything. I suppose at the end of the day, for me it really depends on photographic direction and the need for FF.

Stan Jirman

One or two, that's the question now, isn't it. I need two bodies and had been thinking a Mark III and a nice used 1Ds Mark II to replace my two 1DMkII's. But the combination of the difference in controls and the level of detail Rob was getting out of the Mark III files makes me wonder whether two Mark III's doesn't make more sense...

Judging from what you do, I can imagine the 9-frame buffer of the 1Ds2 (raw+S) may be limiting to you. Heck, it's limiting for me with my erratically moving infant daughter :) But for my needs the 1D3 would be the wrong camera, with virtually no benefits, so I stick to my 1Ds2 and hope the 1Ds3 has a 30 frame raw buffer (haha yeah right).

Nill Toulme

I'll have to give it some thought. I won't be buying the second body till at least the fall anyway, when I'm hoping the 1Ds MkIII's debut will knock down the prices on used 1DsMkII's.

I can readily grasp the disadvantages of the 1DsMkII for my purposes — notably inconsistent controls, significantly slower operation, and substantially larger files to have to deal with. But I would love to have a full frame camera, and — especially after reading RG's report — I'm wondering how much more significant detail I could expect the 1DsMkII to provide over the 1DMkIII for shots like this:

070421-ESO-7402.jpg

Yikes... I need to straighten that up a bit...

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Steve Saunders

I think I'll end up buying two of the MKIII's. High ISO performance from it suddenly makes this camera stand out above anything else on the market.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'll have to give it some thought. I won't be buying the second body till at least the fall anyway, when I'm hoping the 1Ds MkIII's debut will knock down the prices on used 1DsMkII's.

I can readily grasp the disadvantages of the 1DsMkII for my purposes — notably inconsistent controls, significantly slower operation, and substantially larger files to have to deal with. But I would love to have a full frame camera, and — especially after reading RG's report — I'm wondering how much more significant detail I could expect the 1DsMkII to provide over the 1DMkIII for shots like this:

070421-ESO-7402.jpg

Yikes... I need to straighten that up a bit...

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Well congrats Nill,

This is a great massive-group shot with the 24mm at f 9.0 to get the depth of field. I know this is a challenge, just for the lighting and to have everyone pointing in the right direction.

I'd be interested to know the story behind this picture. Anyway, I'm sure they are delighted.

Mega-groups are a big challenge. One way of doing this to keep the detail rich information is to use a 50mm or 90mm lens to take component sections and then stich. The background can be one shot.

This really is really not a tedious task for an important event and as one has the one shot picture as you posted here, there's no risk.

For some reasons, orchestras are not frequently photographed to allow high resolution printing.

This would be easy with a 39MP sinar, but that's still way to expensive for me.

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I no longer think it is so important to have a full frame or MF sensor for detail-rich scenes. Now that we have software like autoPano Pro for stitching even tripods can be dispensed with by the careful photographer.

As this hand-held composite picture of a 100 year old locomotive shows here in my first use of this amazing software shows, we have reached a new level of creative possibilities.

So the view I'm now moving toward is that for the non architectual and non-scientific work, stitching is now come of age to be part of routine work. Add to that bracketing, one can easily achieve high dynamic range photographs, without much cost, using less than full frame cameras.

So now the advantages of low light high ISO, low noise, fast-focusing cameras such as the 1DIII could clinch the technic of pano construction by overlapping frames even at dawn and sunset where changing light had previously been the challenge.

This camera should open up new technics for photographers. I'm now looking to see what I could sell to finance one for myself.

Asher

KrisCarnmarker

I too am considering buying the 1DMkIII. I just have to find a way to justify the high cost. After all, I'm just a lowly amateur :)

I would have preferred a slightly lower burst rate with a slightly higher MP count. A more quiet shutter would have helped as well.

Otherwise, seems like an exceptional camera that is hard to resist.

Nill Toulme

... A more quiet shutter would have helped as well.

The specs and white paper on the Mark III make mention of what sounds like a new quieter "silent mode." The 1-series DSLRs have always had a PF that reduces shutter sound considerably, but I'm hopeful that the new iteration of that function is even better. The specs say, as I recall, that it reduces shutter noise from 77db to 70, which would be significant.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

KrisCarnmarker

Nill, 7dB is quite a lot indeed. For those who don't realize, that's more than 200% reduction in sound energy, and roughly half the volume (assuming dbA values).

So, what other effects does this PF have? I'm assuming there's some drawback to it or it wouldn't be an option.

Nill Toulme

I don't consider it to have any drawbacks at all on the Mark II. As I said, I leave it enabled all the time. On that camera it only works in single shot drive mode, not in burst mode, so it stays nicely out of the way there.

Well, part of the way it works is delaying mirror return until you let up on the shutter button, so by definition that means a significant increase in blackout time, which I suppose is a drawback, but it doesn't bother me at all in single shot shooting. The advantage of that is that you can let off a frame very quietly and then literally tuck the camera inside your coat or bag for the mirror return noise, which is also reduced from normal because it's a slow sort of return instead of a quick clack. In more normal use it's still quieter because it changes the noise from a concerted "clack-clack" to a separate and quieter "click" and "whirr."

On the original 1D it caused a single-pixel-high noise line all the way across the frame, so it was pretty much useless on that camera, but I don't think that was true of the 1Ds, and it's definitely not the case for the Mark II's.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
No III for me...yet

I think the new III is a great piece of gear. But my 5D will have to do for now until it can pay for the next generation. Too bad we can't buy in bulk as a group from Canon (wouldn't that be something?!)