• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

B&W portrait

Klaus Esser

pro member
This is one i like - i shot it with a Hasselblad and a 350mm Tele-Tessar on Kodak EPP and made it b&w in Photoshop after scanning.

tanjaOP.jpg

bst, Klaus

Ray West

Hi Klaus,

Why do you like this one? Why is it cropped that way. What would you do to make it better? (just trying to get you to 'push your boundaries')

Best wishes,

Ray

Klaus Esser

pro member
Hi Klaus,

Why do you like this one? Why is it cropped that way. What would you do to make it better? (just trying to get you to 'push your boundaries')

Best wishes,

Ray

Pushing my boundaries . . that´s always good! :)

I like this shot because of her looking into the camera. We were shootong for a job in the studio and this one happened to catch my eyes while sorting the trannies.
The Crop is unusable and that i like too - there´s plenty of space around her (was 6x6) but i just like it as it is. The background fading dark at the sides attracts me - it gives deepness.

more later, klaus

Angela Weil

B/W Portrait

I like it as it is as well. Fine portrait. Maybe a little more definition on the 'Sommersprossen' (how do you call these in English?) on the left side of the face and on her forehead - but that is a minor point.

Angela

Ray West

Hi Klaus,

It reminds me very much of a certain painting, of about 500 years ago. Just by luck, in a split second, you get something akin to what took 40 years or so back then- ah, its the camera.

Best wishes,

Ray

Klaus Esser

pro member
Hi Klaus,

It reminds me very much of a certain painting, of about 500 years ago. Just by luck, in a split second, you get something akin to what took 40 years or so back then- ah, its the camera.

Best wishes,

Ray

Ray - i didn´t dare to say it: but that was my first feeling when i sorted the shots . . . I wondered what she was tinking about at this fraction of a second . . . ;-) I shot some twenty rolls of film and this shot was my personal favourite.

best, Klaus

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Klaus,

This is a strong image. I like the woman that looks ahead with no exploitation, no objectification, she has style from her hair and attitude from her eyes, lips and almost discerning smile.

I could talk about things that are off perfection, but then that's what it is, a real portrait. I can imagine that this is a woman of value and worth.

I have no doubt about her femininity but am glad to be able to appreciate her and such a personal way without sexuality being obvious. She has authority and understanding and I like her a lot.

Asher

Klaus Esser

pro member
Klaus,

This is a strong image. I like the woman that looks ahead with no exploitation, no objectification, she has style from her hair and attitude from her eyes, lips and almost discerning smile.

I could talk about things that are off perfection, but then that's what it is, a real portrait. I can imagine that this is a woman of value and worth.

I have no doubt about her femininity but am glad to be able to appreciate her and such a personal way without sexuality being obvious. She has authority and understanding and I like her a lot.

Asher

Thank you for your words, Asher! Exactly that expression was the aim - the shooting was for a testimonial campaign of a software-firm. They wanted a type of woman, who signals self-concious feminity and competence.
Hair and makeup took about one hour . . . :) - the art in makeup is, not to be obvious.

best, Klaus

Emma James

Thats a beautiful Portrait, I love the crop, the tones, and her expression, it looks one of deep contentment. For me this is just what a Portrait should be like.

Emma James

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thats a beautiful Portrait, I love the crop, the tones, and her expression, it looks one of deep contentment. For me this is just what a Portrait should be like.

Emma James

I'm glad, Klaus, that my critique, on this one occaison, makes sense and matches your intent and work in embedding artistry, thoughts, style and impact in your photograph for your client. For sure the "Arc of Intent" has been completed by your work and the reception it gets. Frankly, anyone that has to get a photograph for a high end dating service should go to you! Hey, you might even make me look sophisticated!

It is risky putting one's neck out and giving one's reactions to someone else's work. One fears the photographer might be insulted. However, if we don't seek and deal with critique, we all lose.

On web fora, the honest impression can be worthwhile as long as one can sift though false praise, puffery and dismissive reactions.

Asher

.. so, what is a Sommersprossen?

I like the angle of the face and the eyes going looking to one side.

There is too much grain in the face -- remember, 'push your boundaries'-- Im sure there is none in the original.

I don't think the frame is the best, If you only have this can probably continue cropping her right side
all the way to the beginning of the hair.

to brake the simetric (why is my spell check not accepting simetric, how is it? )

ciao

Emma James

.. so, what is a Sommersprossen?

I like the angle of the face and the eyes going looking to one side.

There is too much grain in the face -- remember, 'push your boundaries'-- Im sure there is none in the original.

I don't think the frame is the best, If you only have this can probably continue cropping her right side
all the way to the beginning of the hair.

to brake the simetric (why is my spell check not accepting simetric, how is it? )

ciao

Not sure I should re reply to this, wether it is 'etiquette' or not, but I feel this portrait is worthy of my impertenence! I think this face deserves to have the space around it, most would be tempted to have shot this in vertical, even obeying 'thirds' for some obscure reason ( personally I think the rule book should be thrown out when shooting Portaits, theres is too much personality involved to slap a 'thirds' rule onto it). The grain just reminds me of a good quality contrasty paper for film users, and if her face was sharp the whole portrait would be lost. This piece of work is so far removed from a typical modern day 'digital photograph' that it makes me want to throw away my DSLR and use my husbands old nikon film camera.

Emma James

Klaus Esser

pro member
Not sure I should re reply to this, wether it is 'etiquette' or not, but I feel this portrait is worthy of my impertenence! I think this face deserves to have the space around it, most would be tempted to have shot this in vertical, even obeying 'thirds' for some obscure reason ( personally I think the rule book should be thrown out when shooting Portaits, theres is too much personality involved to slap a 'thirds' rule onto it). The grain just reminds me of a good quality contrasty paper for film users, and if her face was sharp the whole portrait would be lost. This piece of work is so far removed from a typical modern day 'digital photograph' that it makes me want to throw away my DSLR and use my husbands old nikon film camera.

Emma James

Hey Emma!

I agree! There was plenty of space in the picture around her head - but i wanted to try a somewhat "panoramic" view, because that´s a more natural way of viewing. The falloff of light and structures of the background is in my eyes as importand as the face itself and gives an additional deep.
The shot of course is razor-sharp (Hasselblad with 350mm Tele-Tessar and drumscan) and there is no grain - i guess the jpg-compression, sRGB and web transmitting produce some artifakts.
I could take the original size and make a zoomify, if that would be of interest!?

In fact there is a difference to digital due to different contrast handling of both media.

best, Klaus